Anna Bourak Oct 14 Reflection

Last week, our class visited Pacific Spirit park as one of our outdoor activities during our lesson. After participating in an amazing outdoor activity with the class, Steve directed us for a wonderful walk in order to facilitate our learning further. We had discussions and classroom discourse while enjoying the beauty of the nature around us. This experience was refreshing and inspiring for me, as it gave me the opportunity to reconnect with nature. For me, in particular, this was tremendous as I am aware that I do not give myself nearly enough opportunities to utilize the power of nature to my advantage. I’ve always seemed to forget about it and push it aside. I’ve never been an outdoorsy person who would prioritize hiking and exploring the wilderness over indoor activities. Why is this the case? I feel that as a generation (and for the future generations as well), we need to teach our children and younger students to reconnect with nature and all that it has to offer.

The video which I am going to leave you with is a good indication of the generational differences between grandparents, parents, and their children regarding the activities they enjoyed while they were younger. Are we enjoying nature more due to the restrictions placed on liabilities? Or is technology taking over our free time as the more prominent way to relax? Either way, one thing is for sure. Compared to the children today, I definitely spent majority of my time outside getting messy. Today, many parents become insane at the thought of their child coming home with a scraped elbow or knee.

How 3 Generations Of Kids Define “Fun” May Leave You Concerned For The Future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is5W6GxAI3c&feature=youtu.be