CBEL Project: UBC Botanical Gardens

As a part of CIVL 202, our team of Lindsay, Chris, Marshall, Helen, Li, and Aaron, is eager to embark on the UBC SEEDS: Botanical Gardens CBEL Project. UBC’s Social Ecological Economic Development Studies (SEEDS) Program works to integrate students, who are interested in sustainability, with sustainability challenges on campus and is the first program in Canada to do so. Students work with faculty and staff on both the development and the implementation of sustainability projects that contribute to the “Campus as a Living Lab” concept. In the past, the SEEDS Program has worked with 4500 participants on various projects, such as proposals for the green design of the new Student Union Building and a worm composting pilot project.

(http://www.hr.ubc.ca/blog/2010/02/highlights-of-ubc-botanical-garden/)

The particular CBEL project is exciting as it is located right here on campus in UBC’s very own beautiful botanical gardens. UBC SEEDS is looking for a way to slowdown storm water runoff, lower the use of valuable drinking water for irrigation, and possibly store runoff for emergency situations. Our team must survey a stream, determining the ideal spots for rock weir installation to efficiently slow down storm water, as well as perform water volume and elevation calculations. The legacy of this project will not end in April, as the data collected will be utilized in future SEEDS projects that have similar goals. As aspiring civil engineers, this team is excited to learn more about the scope of the project upon meeting the client.

Successful completion of this project will impact a wide community. Our goal is to capture nutrient rich runoff water to conserve drinking water and acknowledge the world’s environmental responsibility. This project will benefit the University of British Columbia by cutting water usage costs and enable a more efficient retention of nutrients to slow soil degradation. UBC Botanical Gardens are appreciated by students, faculty, staff and visitors.  Our efforts will enable UBC to provide a more sustainable and resource conscious attraction though the conservation of a valuable natural resource, thus benefitting the community at large from “sea to shining sea”.

Striving towards the success of this project are six very motivated individuals, waiting to make their contribution to the sustainable development of the UBC Campus. The following are the self-introductions from our team members:

My name is Aaron Chen, originally from Beijing, China, I immigrated to Calgary when I was 10 years old. My hobbies include guitar, soccer, and various E-sports video games. As a Second-year Civil Engineer, my biggest interest in the profession is fluid mechanics. Currently, I am enrolled in the UBC Engineering co-op program.

This should be an interesting project. I am Chris Goody, and my interest in Civil Engineering lies with structural engineering. I have some experience in construction and client relations   and I will be able to help in those areas for this project. I am sure we are all very talented in many ways and can collaborate to do an excellent job.

Hello everyone, my name is Helen Li. I am an international student from Zhengzhou, China and currently enrolled in second year Civil Engineering at UBC. My favorite engineering discipline is structure engineering, and I am also interested in fluid mechanics and pipeline system. My hobbies include piano, badminton and hiking. I am very excited to participate in the UBC SEEDS: Botanical Gardens Project, and I look forward to visiting the garden and meeting our client.

Greetings! My name is Liming Xiang. I am a prospective structural engineer who also takes a interest in sustainable design. I am very involved with the UBC Steel Bridge Team and I volunteer as secretary for the Engineering Undergraduate society here at UBC. Beyond engineering, I greatly enjoy good music and good food.
I look forward to working with my CBEL team and the UBC SEEDS Program on the Botanical Gardens Project. I’m excited to learn as well as having some fun in the process.

Hello everyone, my name is Lindsay Piva. I’m originally from Kamloops, BC where I completed first year at Thompson Rivers University enrolled in the engineering transfer program, and have since transferred to UBC for second year. A few of my life-long passions are competitive dance, piano, and yoga. I hope to pursue the renewable energy aspect of Civil Engineering, which is the reason the UBC SEEDS: Botanical Garden Project most appealed to me. Can’t wait to get the ball rolling!

Hi there, my name is Marshall Downes. I’m from White Rock, BC and am currently enrolled in second year Civil Engineering at UBC. Some of my interests are skiing, baseball and videogames. I am most interested in the structural aspect of Civil Engineering, and I am interested in green design. I also have always enjoyed the tranquility of a garden and look forward to working in UBC’s Botanical Garden.
I’m excited to see what we can accomplish together!

1 thought on “CBEL Project: UBC Botanical Gardens

1. Hi Team!

This is a great start to the project! It looks like your interests are complementary and it’s a good sign to read such enthusiasm! If you haven’t already done so, I hope you meet with Ms Sawada very soon.

Regards,
    SN