Biography

Welcome to my blog!

My name is Usman and I’m in my fourth year at UBC. I’m a biology major with a particular interest in genetics. I appreciate that science has provided me with the ability to absorb and distill complex information, as well as think critically and methodically. Initially I entered the faculty of science to pursue graduate studies in genetics or medicine, however, working in sales over the past few years has shifted my career interests to business development.

I’ve been in the telecommunications industry for the past five years. I thrive in fast-paced environments where human interaction is valued and customer service is paramount. Over the years, I’ve gained valuable experience in conflict resolution, providing solutions via needs-based analyses, and capitalizing on ever-shifting promotions. I fell in love with the constant social and communication based aspects of selling and how business itself can be broken down into a scientific process.

This past summer, I worked as an intern for a commodity trading company. After I graduate, I hope to take what I’ve learned in sales and as a biology student, and pursue a career in commodity trading. The work of a commodity trader combines the analytical skills I’ve gained at my time here at UBC with the people skills I’ve gained from working in sales.

My passions and hobbies are quite diverse, they range from technology to business. I enjoy keeping up to date with the latest gadgets, trends and advancements in various tech sectors such as VR/AR, Robotics and FinTech. I’ve been a “techie” from a young age and enjoy the elegant solutions to complex problems that technology provides. I am also interested in economics and how the financial world works. I try to keep up to date with financial news and strongly believe that there is a need for greater financial literacy worldwide.

I hope to one day combine my interests in technology and finance plus my background in business development with my entrepreneurial spirit to start a consulting firm.