Blackberry vs. iPhone

Comparison of the major competitors in the smartphone war

Blackberry and iPhone are head-to-head competitors in the mobile device network. According to The Globe and Mail article users state their preference over the smart-phone war. Founder and CEO of 1-800-GOT-JUNK?, Brian Scudamore, is dedicated to his iPhone, “I FaceTime when I am on business trips and away from family, and my iPhone also helps me remain paperless.” After discussing value proposition in class it’s important that the iPhone has features that will provide customers personal conversation with other customers afterwards. Lauren Friese is a Blackberry supporter and founder of TalentEgg.ca. Blackberry allows Lauren to use her e-mail via Google Apps for Business and to sync documents through Dropbox. Lauren says, “My Blackerberry is good at what it does, which is to help me stay connected to work and life no matter where I am.”  Blackberry’s target market caters to the working class who need easy access to email and work, as well as users who desire the distinct BBM feature. Brand positioning for both iPhone and Blackberry is clear in the consumer’s mind. Blackberry’s points of differences include BBM, direct email, and a full keyboard; whereas, iPhone includes a complete web browser, a network of apps, and FaceTime.

Word Count: 199

Rupert Murdoch “The News of the World” Scandal

In the Rupert Murdoch scandal, his tabloid newspaper “The News of the World” was publishing material illegally. This information was found by private investigators hired by News of the World to ferret out headline material (thestar.com). For example, at the site of where soldiers were killed in Afghanistan and Iraq, telephone numbers of the soldier’s families was found on file by a private detective hired by the newspaper. This information was reported by The Telegraph. Rupert Murdoch’s News International was also accused for hacking into people’s (chief executives, lawyers, celebrities, etc) personal telephone lines and messages to gain headlines for the newspaper. The main ethical issue results from the immoral fact of how the company obtained confidential material for the newspaper. News International violated the public’s right of personal privacy as well as corporate responsibility towards honesty, respect, and integrity.

Word Count: 144

Video: Pie Attack!