One Scoop to Change

Victory-for-Ben-Jerry-s-in-three-year-legal-wrangle-over-all-natural-ice-cream-with-alkalized-cocoa_strict_xxl

Recently, the surging trend of companies partaking in environmental and social initiatives has sparked much skepticism.  I am doubtful if their true intent is to honestly change the world or rather to rebrand their image to become “clean” of blame.  Since corporate giants are obsessed with maximizing profit, it is hard to understand why they would break their greed addiction to allocate funds for global causes.  It doesn’t sound right.

With Class 15: CSR and Sustainability fresh in mind, Ben and Jerry’s has changed my perspective by spearheading its company with the core value “linked prosperity” among customers, employees, and suppliers.  From introducing fair trade flavours, to launching Ben and Jerry’s Foundation, to assisting local farms achieve their sustainable goals, Ben and Jerry has redesigned each part of its supply chain to uphold its position as an ambassador of social, economic, and environmental change.  Recently, Ben and Jerry’s recently partnered with NativeEnergy to help Green Dream Farm reduce its greenhouse gas and waste products by installing separation equipment.

linked-prosperity-loop

Today, I have noticed that consumers’ biggest dilemma over a products is between their want and their conscience.  It is naturally uncontrollable to want something, but difficult to differentiate if it deserves one’s money.  Personally, I prefer companies with integrity than popularity.  Even if a product is the new trending fashion, I can never bear the gut feeling of supporting a company without ethical means.  I cannot submit to the status quo without knowing the true story behind.