Tropicana Re-Branding Failure: Influences on Consumer Decisions

Standard

As I was reading through the blogs of my fellow classmates, I came across a post by Lucy Stephenson. In her post, Lucy speculated as to what the cause of the drop in sales Tropicana Juices experienced after their re-branded packaging hit stores in 2008 may have been. I couldn’t help but draw a connection between this event and what we recently learned about there being multiple factors that play into consumer purchasing decisions. 

As we see with this consumer decision funnel, several factors affect how many consumers buy some good.

Lucy wrote she believed the reason that “Tropicana sales dropped by 20% after the new packaging was introduced,” was that “consumers [believed] that the change in packaging also [meant] a change in the product”. I agree with this idea Lucy presents because when you consider that all that changed about Tropicana’s juice was the physical appearance of the carton, it follows that once loyal Tropicana consumers might have “jumped ship” because they no longer physically recognized their true ‘juice of choice’. I also feel that other factors such as the poor economic state of America at the time this re-branding took place could have further contributed to the large loss in sales Tropicana experienced.  

Overall, I agree with Lucy’s perspective on what altered Tropicana consumer purchasing habits after the company’s re-branding. However, I also feel that there were several other factors that contributed to the drop in sales Tropicana saw as well. For as we see in the consumer decision funnel, marketing campaigns are only the first of many factors that influence consumer decisions.  

To read more from Lucy Stephenson, find her blog here:

https://blogs.ubc.ca/lucystephenson/

sources:
Zmuda, Natalie. “Tropicana Line’s Sales Plunge 20% Post-Rebranding. News – Advertising Age.” Advertising Age News RSS. N.p., Apr. 2009. Web. 09 Oct. 2014. 
Lucy Stephenson’s Blog