“Millennials These Days”

sucking the souls

“Human brains are exquisitely evolved to adapt to the environment in which they’re placed. It follows that if the environment is changing in an unprecedented way, then the changes too will be unprecedented…So the fear I have is not with the technology per se, but the way it’s used by the native mind.”

–Susan Greenfield. In The New York Times (2012).

After watching Danah Boyd’s YouTube video, It’s Complicated, it became clear that her experience using the Internet was very transformative, and maybe this experience was just as transformative for young people. Her questions complement my last post and beg the question: How does technology change everyday life? Much of what Boyd discusses speaks to anxiety and concerns from parents and seeks to address individuals’ motivations for staying connected.

She raises a very important idea: “What young people are doing and what we blame young people for doing is not necessarily the best way to look at it and we need to actually look at our own practices.” She points out that we often blame young people for things that adults also do. Boyd recalls experiences watching parents staring at their phones through the entirety of their children’s sports games.

Even as a young adult I am told that I need to get off my phone and smell the roses. My offline self, however, always bleeds into my online self, and it can be hard to distinguish between the two. Obviously I know the difference of physically being on and offline, but lines get blurred when we talk about privacy, or the work place. E-mailing your boss on a Sunday night, for example, may be considered inappropriate. On the other hand, she may need specific information before Monday.

I am not addicted to my phone. Some of my motivations may be as simple as texting my mother to tell her that I love her.

There are various, non-life threatening reasons young people are motivated to stay online. Staying connected is simply one extra avenue through which we can, and should, stay connected to each other.

It is true that young people consume (and produce) an extraordinary amount of media. A study in 2010 from the Kaiser Foundation found that teens were spending seven hours and thirty-eight minutes on their devices every day. Although this sounds alarming, it is important to keep in mind that many young adults multitask and consume multiple media channels at once. This could include texting, watching a YouTube video, updating Facebook, and at the same time polishing off an essay. Connectivity can be achieved sporadically throughout the day—not just sitting in one place. Millennials have been brought up in a world of ubiquitous technology and should not be expected to avoid using it. Since there are such high concerns about young people being addicted to their technology, perhaps instead of telling Millennials to unplug, it might be more useful to come up with constructive ways to educate young people on the ways in which technology can be useful in the Information Age.

We don’t need strategies on how to break our addictions to our cellphones. We are simply adapting to the environment in which we have been placed, including using educational information technology to aid us. One place that we can begin to break down these barriers and talk about the benefits of technology is the library. Other spaces such as school and the home should also prioritize discussions on innovative, responsible, and safe technology use.

putawayyourphone

Boyd D. “It’s Complicated: The Social Lives of Networked Teens.” New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 2014.

Greenfild, Susan. Are we Becoming Cyborgs? The NewYork Times, 2012.

Kaiser, Henry J., Family Foundation. “Generation M2: Media in the Lives of 8-18 Year-Olds.” 2010. Web.

Images

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208113009965956&set=a.10203858053954715.1073741830.1321534174&type=3&theater

https://twitter.com/marawritesstuff/status/654445828925472768

My Relationship with the Internet

End of Absence Photo

As a grad student, I rarely have the opportunity to read for pleasure these days, but one week before classes started up again, I found a moment and went outside with just a book in hand. The book was Michael Harris’s The End of Absence: Reclaiming What We’ve Lost in a World of Constant Connection. It sparked in me a fair bit of reflection about the unintended consequences of living in a world that is constantly connected to the Internet. One of the main points in the book—that my generation represents the only one in history that will experience life both with and without the Internet—made me think of how I should consider the implications of our logged-on-lives. I wanted to take a minute to discuss my relationship with the Internet.

It is scary for me to think that when I have kids, the Internet will be something that is natural and therefore something of which they will be barely conscious. Consequently, I think this is a very precious moment for all of us to reflect on moments before and after the Internet began. I took away from my reading of Harris’s book two main points about my own connectivity.

The first is that many online ties are only reflections of my offline life. Harris says, “Arguably, the larger and more productive world that our technologies deliver is simultaneously an impoverished version of the older one—a version that rejects direct experience and therefore rejects an earlier conception of reality that had its own value. We see more, yet our vision is blurred; we feel more things, yet we are numbed.”

Although this comment seems to reject what the online world has to offer, these ideas are reflected in Boyd and Ellison’s work that discusses bridges between online and offline social networks. Boyd and Ellison (2007) have noted that “the available research suggests that most SNSs primarily support pre-existing social relations.” Furthermore, Ellison, Steinfield, and Lampe (2007) have argued that Facebook users typically maintain their existing offline relationships or solidify offline connections, as opposed to meeting new people. “These relationships may be weak ties, but typically there is some common offline element among individuals who friend one another, such as a shared class at school” (Boyd and Ellison, 2007). Much of what these authors are saying reminds me of my mother telling me to get off the computer and go play outside. For me, however, it is important to stay as connected to my offline world as it is to be connected online. There are unique affordances that both worlds have to offer.

For instance, my family lives in Ottawa and rarely do I get to see them. This week I was able to Skype my niece on her birthday. Without Skype, Facebook, and many other social media platforms that the Internet provides, I would be unable to see them grow while I am here in Vancouver.

I think we need to be aware of our connectivity and strive for a balance between our online and offline presences. Obviously it is different for every individual, but reflecting on the ways we spend our time online can give us insights into how we spend our time offline.

Harris describes ‘absence’ as silence, wonder, and solitude, things he believes diminish when we are constantly connected. He wants us to remember what real absence is like and fears that we will all lack absence if we do not strike up a balance. He is neither for nor against connectivity, instead asserting that, like any other part of our lives, we have to check the balance. Once in a while, it is worth reconnecting with our offline selves.

Stop. Reflect. And stay connected.

Boyd, Danah M., and Nicole B. Ellison. “Social Network Sites: Definition, History, and Scholarship.” Journal of Computer‐Mediated Communication 13.1 (2007): 210-30.

Nicole B. Ellison, Charles Steinfeld, and Cliff Lampe. “The Benefits of Facebook “Friends”: Exploring the Relationship between College Students’ Use of Online Social Networks and Social Capital.” Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication 12.3 (2007): 1143-68.

Harris, Michael. “The End of Absence: Reclaiming what we’ve Lost in a World of Constant Connection.” New York: Current, 2014.