Mar 17 / vikachen

Mobile Digital Television Works!

Recently, students are voting for keeping the U-Pass. When I looked at the voting website, I found that the monthly fee is actually increased by $7, which reminds me the rumor that BC TransLink is facing bankruptcy. And then, the “TV For Commuters” idea Victor Kong proposed in his blog comes into my mind.

As I’ve commented, this idea really works in China. Here is a successful sample, Vision China Media.

The first person who implemented this idea in China is Nanchun Jiang, the CEO of Focus Media. Started on 2003, this company “established [their] commercial location network by installing flat-panel LCD television displays in high-traffic areas, such as elevator bank of commercial office buildings to target business professionals with higher-than-average income.” Because this media provides a channel for ads to accurately target on the right segments, this mobile digital television industry bloomed out.

However, by simply broadcasting ads, people were not as interested in it as before, and as a result, Focus Media “provided” an opportunity for its competitors. Vision China Media, one of the competitors, who targets on the transportation– people in the “closed cage” as Victor Kong described, not only broadcasting ads but also some local news and TV shows which successfully grabbed the attentions back. As a matter of fact, I personally enjoy killing my time on bus or metro by watching it.

Investment banks are interested in investing these media companies. Some of the media company were merged by billion dollars and some of them are now publicly own company with shares traded on the U.S. Nasdaq Stock Market.

So I think there is a potential mobile digital television advertising market in Vancouver which BC TransLink will be glad to cooperate with.

If anyone has the ability to implement this business, I would like to sell my ideas and experience.;p