hello & welcome

My name is Valerie Ireland and I respectfully acknowledge that I work, live and play within the traditional territories of the Kwanlin Dün First Nation and the Ta’an Kwäch’än Council.

I teach PE, ADST and am the Teacher-Librarian at Jack Hulland Elementary School in Whitehorse, Yukon. I was fortunate to be selected for Education Leave this school year and was peacefully working full-time at home by myself until homeschooling started. I am taking my ninth and tenth courses in MET this term. In addition to ETEC 540, I am completing a directed study to learn more about Library Learning Commons spaces.

Whitehorse has been my home for 19 years, but I grew up in Richmond, BC.  I completed my undergrad and teaching degree at Simon Fraser University.  It was there that I met my husband, a Yukoner, and in 2002 we made the move North. We settled in Whitehorse and have two sons (age 9 and 12).  I enjoy all things sports and keep busy in the long winter months playing basketball, snowboarding, snowmobiling, and hanging out at the hockey rink watching my boys. In the summer, I take advantage of the long daylight hours outdoors, especially playing ball and geocaching in the woods.