Archive for March, 2011

HMV Canada: Starting Fresh

Thursday, March 31st, 2011

After reading an article on Canadian Business Online, “HMV Canada to remodel stores with bigger range of products, new interactive feel”, I was quite interested in HMV’s recent repositioning for the Canada division. As the trend for online downloading and Internet streaming skyrocketed over the past decades, the music business has been stuck in a […]

“Stop having a boring life!”

Thursday, March 24th, 2011

My life got a little more exciting after watching the following commercial in COMM 296 today: Only a very small and simple device to chop up your food, yet it is that much more appealing. I actually want to purchase one after watching this infomercial. Why is that? First of all, the entire commercial was […]

The skinnier, the better?

Thursday, March 17th, 2011

What is this ad really saying? According to this article, PepsiCo is really stirring up problems with their new “skinny can” Diet Pepsi. Although Pepsi is seemingly promoting the image of beautiful confident women, “critics say the packaging just reinforces dangerous stereotypes that women must resemble beanpoles to be attractive.” PepsiCo is re-positioning its Diet […]

Failblog: Targeting Failure?

Thursday, March 10th, 2011

Just when you thought that you can’t get any better than the classic Nike shoes, think again. Perhaps as a way to differentiate itself from head-to-head competitor, Adidas, Nike decides to target a whole new segment with a new product line, a method of diversification. As AdFreak describes in its blog, Nike’s new line of […]

My Idols: The Disney Princesses

Thursday, March 3rd, 2011

Every child has an idol to look up to, whether it be their parents, celebrities, or public figures. For me? I look up to them: The Disney Princesses. How Stuff Works is equivalent to the second Wikipedia, but more in depth and with more explanations. I came upon this article, describing Disney’s marketing strategies for […]