Team

Hannia Curi

97987I’m a fourth year Film Studies and English Literature major, though I can’t say what my degree will look like when it’s done. For all I know, I’ll surprise everyone and graduate with a Bachelor’s in physics or something. I migrated to Canada from Colombia-with-an-o, the South American country (burn this into your brains, it is not Columbia) so I have more of an insight into the life of an immigrant than the history of First Nations people in Canada. I also spent most of my university education studying texts from the British Isles, and although the 18th century in British literature is a party I’m loath to leave (I still owe Rochester a dance), this class has been a welcome break from the same old, same old. Though I must admit I showed up for the mandatory Canadian credit and tiny sandwiches. When not watching movies or impersonating a Chipotle burrito, I love learning new things and this class has definitely taught me a thing or two and allowed me to participate in some fascinating dialogues. For this, I am very grateful.

Jenny Ho

linkedin2

I am a fourth year Psychology and English Literature double major currently on an Arts Co-op work term. Born and raised in Vancouver, I’ve learned very little about the history and issues First Nations face in Canada. It wasn’t until my second year at UBC that I’ve had my first real exposure to some of the issues through ENGL 222- Literature in Canada. I’ll admit- I signed up for this class on a whim, unsure of how my summer would play out. However, I’m pleased with the knowledge and perspectives I’ve gained and come to understand through this class. This enabled me to fill in some of the gaps in my knowledge, resulting from the lack of curriculum of First Nations issues in the public education system.

Kristin Kozar

Kristin

I am a fourth year (my last semester) First Nation Studies and History major in the Bachelor of Arts Program. I am also a First Nations woman, born and raised in Tsawwassen. Actually, my father was the chief at one point as well. As such, my whole life and childhood teachings having been surrounded by First Nation issues, culture and traditions. I have, in my educational career, found that many issues we discussed in the course are quite prevalent including the misrepresentation of First Nation issues, stereotypes, idealism and culture. I have further found this course has opened my eyes to the impact that digital media can and has played in First Nation current issues and how it can further educate and promote First Nation issues and awareness.

Breanna Simpson

I’m a fifth year double major at UBC Vancouver campus, studying English Literature and Classical Studies. I adore animals, and all things related to books. I was home-schooled, and received an informal but rich early education. In high school, I struggled with sciences and had a grand total of four “arts” courses, including English. As such, I knew very little about Indigenous issues or culture before taking this class, which I registered for because I need the Canadian Lit requirement. This class has been one of the most eye-opening and thought provoking classes I’ve had during my university career, both in terms of its utilization of digital media, and in terms of the plethora of information it has unlocked about Indigenous peoples and the persistent power of silence.

Shannon Smith

97987

I’m a fourth year English Literature major in UBC Vancouver’s Bachelor of Arts Program. I am a huge fan of trashy teen novels, swimming, and sketching fantastical worlds and characters. I was born in New Westminster, BC, but have lived in various cities across the country from Regina to Ottawa. Before taking this class, I was incredibly unfamiliar with First Nations concerns, but I figured this was a good place to start. The unique format of this class, coupled with the use of social and other digital media has provided a rare experience to learn in a way that is far from the norm. It has certainly been an interesting experience!