What makes you a successful athlete?

I read an article on Fox sports about Cristiano Ronaldo (soccer player) being the 3rd player in Europe to score 70 goals for Portugal. This is a huge milestone in his already successful career. So this got me wondering what traits do players like Cristiano Ronaldo and other successful sportsmen possess.   

Through my research I found certain traits that successful sportsmen share like work ethic, ability to overcome failure, positive energy, handling risks and responsibility. However everyone does not have the willpower to possess these traits. Hence personality and motivation plays an important role in determining who possess these traits.  

According to me motivation is a factor that drives individuals to achieve their goals, and intrinsic motivation is important for an athlete. So what is intrinsic motivation? It is doing an action because of personal interest and satisfaction, thus athletes can be compared to theory Y employees form McGregor’s theory. These are the employees that love their job, are creative and seek responsibility, hence achieve the greatest job satisfaction. In my personal opinion this is true because I always wanted to be best at Soccer due to pure passion for the sport. We can also interpret this situation using Expectancy theory, as athletes believe that their efforts will lead to better performance, so they expect intrinsic rewards like achievement, self-esteem and personal satisfaction. Therefore extrinsic motivation is not a key factor to help athletes achieve their goals.  

Through this we understand that most athletes show core self-evaluation and proactive personality because they are committed to their goals and want to continuously improve their current skills. Hence persist longer at attempting to reach their goals and find new opportunities and initiatives. Speaking from personal experience if an athlete does not show such character, he or she will be forgotten in a few seasons due to the intense level of competition in the sporting world.

In conclusion I believe that an individual can only succeed in the sporting world, if he or she is truly passionate about the sport.

works cited

http://www.foxsportsasia.com/news/ronaldo-breaks-even-records-70th-portugal-goal/

1 thought on “What makes you a successful athlete?

1. Cristiano Ronaldo

Well, this is my first visit to your blog! Cristiano Ronaldo is a good and experienced footballer like me. He will do something better for the club and the country with his skills. I think he is a good player. His teammates need good performances with him. Only then will CR7 be able to take his team further.