1.5. -How Evil Came to Be

I have a great story to tell you.

Once, there was a boy who wanted to be class president. He would stop at nothing to achieve this. He wanted the position like a miser wants gold – that is to say, he wanted it for all the wrong reasons. He did not care about helping his peers; he only wanted admission to the top Ivy League schools, and he thought being class president would make him a shoo-in.

There was one thing standing in the boy’s way. Another boy, a small, mild boy he saw sometimes tutoring younger students in the library, was his opponent. Our boy wasn’t worried, though. He knew he could crush his meek competitor in an instant, as he had a secret weapon in his arsenal.

Both boys campaigned as hard as they could. Each time the mild boy put up a poster, our boy papered over it. When the mild boy handed out buttons in the cafeteria, our boy made bigger ones. Everything the mild boy did, our boy did one better.

Finally, the day of the final speeches came. Both boys took to the podium. The mild boy went first. He spoke of new vending machines, improved tutoring programs, and more funding for student clubs and dances. By the end of his speech, the entire auditorium was clapping and cheering in a frenzy.

But our boy was still not worried. He adjusted his shirt, waited for the applause to die down, and then began to tell a story. He told the most scandalous things about his opponent he could think of, weaving tale after tale about how he had seen the boy doing the most disgusting and cruel things imaginable. As he told his story, he could feel it picking up momentum in the crowd. The story had taken on a life of its own – even our boy realized that he had taken it too far, but he could not stop himself. His story slithered into the ears of his audiences, and they turned, horrified, to the mild boy. The mild boy could do nothing but gape, his eyes welling up.

Finally, our boy’s story ended. He had not said a word of what he would do if elected. He stepped off the stage, trembling, and left the auditorium.

That afternoon, results were read. Our boy had won, of course.

But being class president was not at all what he had expected it to be. Pretty soon, he was floundering – missing meetings, losing budgets, forgetting to do important tasks. The school descended into chaos. The boy was miserable. The student body was miserable.

So he took to the PA one day and said, “I am sorry. I lied during my speech. Everything I said about my opponent was not true. He deserves this position, not me.” But the students did not hear him. They had accepted his story as true. Fabricated evidence to the boy’s claims had appeared. The story was no longer under the boy’s control – it never truly was.

And so, for the whole school year, the student body was miserable. Our boy did not get into any of his chosen schools – they took one look at his track record as president and denied his application. There were no dances. The vending machines were always empty. And, perhaps worst of all, students began to fail because there were no tutoring programs.

And the mild boy? Rumour has it that he switched schools. He couldn’t take the ostracization from his once beloved peers. He never ran for class president again.

And that is how one story unleashed evil on an entire student body.

END

File:Charles Edward Perugini - Pandora's box.jpg

A painting by Charles Edward Perugini depicting another famous story of how evil came to the world: the story of Pandora’s box. Much like the witch’s story, once Pandora opens the box, she can never close it again.

Writing this story was a very different experience from my usual writing, and this is because I had in the back of my mind that it was something I would have to memorize and speak aloud. This significantly altered my typical writing style. For one, I was conscious that my words would have to be simple and economical. If the plot was too complicated, or if I gave myself too many details or descriptions, then I knew that I would have difficulty memorizing it. For that same reason, I also knew that it would have to be relatively short.

I also wanted to avoid getting too specific with my story. I wanted it to be something that my audience(s) could follow without having to revisit past events, like you might sometimes do with a written piece of literature. It needed to have an easy flow, and also be general enough to prevent confusion. This is why I decided to call the boys “mild boy” and “our boy” to distinguish them – there are no names to get mixed up.

When I was telling the story, I also noticed a few things that are specific to oral storytelling. The exact words of my written story did not matter as much when I was telling it; the important part was making sure I was remembering the plot points. In fact, sometimes new words sprang to mind that actually worked better or felt more natural than what I had originally written. I really appreciated this aspect of oral story-telling; it felt more spontaneous. I could also respond better to the needs of my audience; for example, if I noticed someone having a stronger reaction to a certain part of the story, I could pause for effect, or say more about it. Conversely, if a moment did not have the impact that I wanted it to, I could change the wording the next time I told the story and experiment with different language. I will admit that I wrote down a few of the plot points for reference the first time I told the story, just to ensure I did not miss a crucial moment, but when I started actually telling the story I found I did not need it. The story came to me instinctively, as if it had always existed and just needed a vessel to manifest in reality.

Doing this exercise made me more aware of the fact that oral story-telling is not the same as reading a written work aloud. The fact that the story is not written down (I suppose it is in this case, but traditionally it would not have been) gives the story a fluidity that is not really available with the literary tradition. Also, writing for oral story-telling does not just mean writing a story. It is a different medium altogether, as it does away with the more decorative aspects of literary writing and focuses on simplicity. This is not to say that these stories are worse; any embellishments can be added spontaneously, if the moment calls for it.

I will admit that I enjoyed this exercise more than I thought I would. I was dreading it at first, but once I started writing I realized I was having a lot of fun. It was also nice that the assignment gave me an excuse to call a few people; I suppose it goes to show the connectivity of oral culture!

I have really enjoyed learning about oral cultures and the power of story-telling, and have been doing some of my own research about it. I wanted to link some resources I’ve been looking at if anyone else is interested! This one is actually a UBC website that provides more information about indigeneity and oral culture. And here is a TEDx talk given by Trent Hohaia that resonated with me, in which he speaks about his life, his identity as a Māori person, and the power of oral story-telling.

This above story is a retelling of a story reproduced in The Truth about Stories by Thomas King; it can be found originally in Leslie Silko’s Ceremony.

Hanson, Eric. “Oral Traditions.” Indigenousfoundations, UBC, indigenousfoundations.arts.ubc.ca/oral_traditions/.

Hohaia, Trent. “Making Connections – The Power of Oral Storytelling.” TEDx. TEDxUOA, 2021, Auckland, New Zealand, University of Auckland, www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh_9H93MACA.

“‘You’ll Never Believe What Happened’ Is Always a Great Way to Start .” The Truth About Stories: a Native Narrative, by Thomas King, House of Anansi Press Inc., 2010, pp. 1–29.

Image Credit 

Perugini, Charles Edward. “Pandora’s Box.” Wikimedia Commons, Wikimedia Foundation, 2015, commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Charles_Edward_Perugini_-_Pandora%27s_box.jpg.

6 thoughts on “1.5. -How Evil Came to Be

1. kyle olsen

Hi Victoria!

I really liked reading your story in particular because it showed a lot of relation to the modern field of politics where candidates tend to make false claims about their opponents in an effort to win. I think what a lot of politicians don’t understand though in today’s world is that their claims don’t just have an affect on their opponents reputation but it also affects their credibility as well. Once those politicians share those stories with the public they forget that we live in a world now where voters can find information on the internet about those claims which can backfire on them more than their opponents if they turn out to be false. I also agree with your point about the effectiveness of sharing your stories orally rather than just writing them down because sometimes a story may sound like it has good flow in your head, however, it may not sound that good once you read it aloud. I do this quite frequently with my essays after I write them for that reason because it allows me to highlight flaws in it’s flow so it sounds better while reading.

1. VictoriaRanea Post author

Hi Kyle,
      That is definitely something I wanted to try an showcase in my story; I wanted to show the effects that telling a story can have on people’s personal lives, and not just prevent them from, in this case, winning a position. Choosing to tell malicious stories like this can have really negative, lasting impacts. I’m glad you know what I am talking about regarding flow; I also read my essays out lout before submission! I found that with oral storytelling specifically, though, I made more changes than I might have with an academic essay, I think because I was conscious of my audience and the differing aims between academic writing and storytelling.
      Thanks so much for your comment!

2. Zac

Hi Victoria,

I really liked your story! I think it speaks for all of our experiences in high school, struggling to navigate the politics of teen-hood; and also relevant to the politics of present-day, with the fear of ‘post-truth’ and how to deal with the lies people unleash as a means of gaining power. I couldn’t help but imagine ‘our boy’ as a cartoon child version of Donald Trump (up until our boy conceded and admitted that what he had done was wrong).

I really liked what you said about how “The story was no longer under the boy’s control – it never truly was.” I feel like this really captures what we were discussing last week about fanfics and author’s rights to their stories. My favourite example of JK Rowling trying to retcon her work through a series of twitter posts, shows how authors sometimes exert a lot of effort to maintain the narrative and control of their work well after the world has taken on their own meaning and agency over the characters and their journeys.

I can relate to the oral storytelling practices that you noticed. When I started to try to memorize my story, I began to notice that my written voice is SIGNIFICANTLY different from my oral voice. You seem to experience this when you say “[oral story telling] does away with the more decorative aspects of literary writing and focuses on simplicity,” which is a challenge for me, because I am very well practiced at adding unnecessary flair to my written voice. Trying to remember the way that I had phrased things became quite challenging, and I eventually gave up and began just practicing the important things that I needed people to know in order for my story to make sense. The words that I used began to change and the emphasis that I put on different parts of the story began to change as well. It was an interesting process, and seeing how different these two styles were showed me how different the journey is in these two mediums.

1. VictoriaRanea Post author

Hi Zac,
      Thanks for the compliments! I had Trump in mind while I was writing this, though didn’t want to be too on the nose, so I thought that a high school setting (as well as an admission of guilt) might help make it less conspicuous. i’m glad I was still able to evoke him!
      I also absolutely had in mind what we had been talking about when I wrote that line about the story never having been under his control. As we agreed, once an author (or storyteller) releases their story into the world, it becomes its own entity that can change and grow as it comes into contact with other people and other stories.
      Based on what you write, it seems that we had identical experiences when writing this! I also tend to be very verbose when I write, so i also had trouble remembering exactly how I had phrased certain parts. Eventually I too gave up!
      Thanks for your comment! Looking forward to more communications.

3. Aidan McConnell

I very much enjoyed your post Victoria! I feel as though this is a predicament that a lot of people can relate to. Saying something without really thinking through what the repercussions will be. Who it will hurt, how badly it will hurt etc. The ignorance of youth I suppose!

Also, I like how you noted that writing this story was a strange process for you, as you knew that you would have to memorize it and read it aloud. I too found this to have an effect on my writing style. With this being said, do you feel as though you would have written the story differently if you were telling it to a stranger? Rather than someone you know and are comfortable with? I know that I would, but im not totally sure why that is.

1. VictoriaRanea Post author

Hi Aidan,
      Thanks so much for your kind words! Yes, I think we have all been guilty of (and victims of) something said in the heat of the moment, that we then found extremely hard to take back (or forgive). I think this is a kind of storytelling, too, albeit a more malicious form of it. What is storytelling if not our attempts to shape the world around us?
      In regards to your question, I think I might have written something different too, though I’m not sure what. Maybe I would have ended with the same piece, but through a different process. I think I felt a certain level of freedom knowing that the people I would be telling the story to would be my loved ones; I knew they would be forgiving and give me the benefit of the doubt. If it had been for strangers, I would have second guessed myself a lot more, and who knows what I would have ended up with?
      Thanks for your comment!! Looking forward to hearing from you again.