News for nerds, stuff that matters

Let’s not kill dreams: Another KONY article

A grassroots documentary to raise awareness about Joseph Kony, a Ugandan guerrilla group leader, directed by a young film-maker, went viral on the internet. I remember being on Twitter and Facebook on March 6th, 2012. That day, my newsfeed on Facebook, for us addicted users, went from “sharing” of the video to receiving many group invites for UBCKONY2012, etc. It was received with such warmth for a while, before the press started slighting the movement for the possible amount of donations received from the movement.

My honest opinion of the video: It was done well, with a positive message, but I don’t understand why the many other documentaries that have similar objectives didn’t go haywire like this one did. Anyhow, it promoted an initiative that is legitimate, and the discourse that is perpetuated is one that would benefit the children in Uganda in being free from tyranny of Kony. The fact that the campaign is targeted specifically to this one goal is part of the reason why it received so much support and media attention.

In an article in Los Angeles Times, a teacher supports the cause of Kony 2012.

“Don’t squelch young activists like my son or my student, Thomas Abebe, who took it upon himself to raise money for famine relief around the Horn of Africa by selling rubber bracelets to his fellow classmates. Did I ask him for an accounting of funds? No, I just thanked God that someone cared enough to get involved. He gets an A+ in my book!”

I very much agree with her stance. The negative response of the media is the exact skepticism and pessimism that stifles many dreams and the birth of many noble initiatives. It is time to let these activists and youngsters to follow their dreams, as long as they are doing good to the society. After all, this is the harm principle that society follows, isn’t it? Who are they harming in receiving donations to help fight for a cause? Even if there are administration fees involved, etc, and not the whole portion of donations goes towards the cause, at least the discourse and paradigm shift will allow for public discussion and raising awareness.

Recently, after receiving much media backlash, Jason Russell, a co-founder of the movement was arrested for lewd behavior. Of course, this drew much criticism. Ben Keesey came to his defense, stating that “[t]he past two weeks have taken a severe emotional toll on all of us, Jason especially, and that toll manifested itself in an unfortunate incident yesterday,” said Ben Keesey, CEO of Invisible Children”. He undoubtedly displayed a bad public image. However, it is also time for the media to reflect on the unnecessary pressures that have been hoisted against these activists. The slogan of KONY 2012 is “Make him visible”, I now implore the media, MAKE DREAMS VISIBLE.

Source:

http://opinion.latimes.com/opinionla/2012/03/kony-2012-backlash-dont-squelch-young-activists-blowback.html

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/1147729–kony-2012-co-founder-of-stop-kony-movement-arrested-for-lewd-behaviour-reports

There are no comments yet...

Kick things off by filling out the form below.