Bicycles are stolen regularly at UBC. You can protect your property by following these steps:
- Using a strong lock. UBC Campus Security has suggestions about locks here:
- Lock your bike to a rack and make sure that your lock goes through the frame of your bike, not just the tire.
- Engrave your bike and record the information, this makes your bike less attractive and more likely to be recovered if it is stolen. The Bike Kitchen can engrave your bike for you. Keep a photo of your bike so that you can claim and describe it if necessary.
- Use a used bike. If you are using your bike to get around campus, you won’t need all of the bells and whistles of a new bike. Make your bike less of a target.
- Register for secure bike parking in the North Parkade at the Bike Kitchen