My Top Five Places to Study

by Jonathan Chan, Residence Advisor

So, three weeks have gone by and midterms are beginning to rear their ugly heads once again. Now that Irving has proven to be ineffective year after year, it’s time to look into some new spots to study. Read on if you would like to free yourself from the incessant chatter of couples breaking up while eating extremely smelly food in the middle of IKB.

1.)   Calhoun’s – You can get to this hip coffee shop within fifteen minutes from leaving your room in Gage if you time the 99 right. Coffee, food and an atmosphere full of students hard at work in the heart of Kitsalano. And, did I mention it’s open 24/7?

2.)   Koerner Library – Are you a person that gets distracted every waking moment by the cell-phone that is practically attached to your hand? If so, then this is the study spot for you. Two floors below the main lobby you’ll find one of the most silent areas to study. Not to mention, you get no cell phone reception there!

3.)   Woodward Library – Here is where you’ll find most students that are keen on med-school. With books about every biomedical topic at arm’s reach, this is a top destination if you’ll need to do lots of scientific referencing or borrow books. The newly renovated basement level also offers a silent area to study while the concourse is great for group discussion.

4.)   Swing Space – This area has been my go-to spot for when I really need to focus with a group of friends that would like to pull an all-nighter. Once classes finish up, you can take over a lecture room and hook your computer up to the projector to go over lecture slides or even watch a movie. Security usually does not check the rooms before locking up the building so you can spend the whole night here if you need to!

5.)   New Gage Study Carrels – Last but not least, your home! Gone are the old, dingy study carrels where one was kept awake by a potent scent of body odour and squeaky chairs. As the renovations in the Gage commonblock finish up, the new Gage study area will prove to be one of the most popular spots to study for residents of the concrete towers. It’s where you’ll probably find me most!

Thanks for reading and I really do hope that you these study spots work as well for you as they have for me. Good luck on your exams!