Wansum Li – Intro to Marketing

Chromercise & Gmail Motion

April 5th, 2011 · No Comments

Reading a post in AdFreak about Google’s newest finger fitness program Chromercise got me thinking about the value of corporate April Fool’s jokes. Chromercise claimed to offer consumers a fun way to speedier online browsing, complete with colourful finger sweatbands. It definitely got people talking, and maybe encouraged some to try out Chrome, Google’s internet browser. I was impressed, as mentioned in AdFreak’s post, by the level of commitment in Chromercise. There was a legit-looking website, videos, success stories, and a blog post warning users to “stretch before and after [a] Chromercise workout.” Another prank from Google was Gmail Motion, which described keyboards as primitive, out-dated technology. Again, I was impressed by the incredible level of commitment.

Check out Gmail Motion's printable guide!

Google has long been known for their innovative and elaborate April Fool’s pranks, but it seems like more and more companies are joining the fun. Are April Fool’s jokes a method to somehow humanize companies, or to convince people that a company is more than a series of business transactions with consumers? To be honest, I am excited to see what companies like Google come up with every April Fool’s. I don’t know if I would use their products more because of it, but it definitely does not hurt my perception of their brand. What about companies that produce less-than-stellar April Fool’s jokes – jokes that are poorly executed, unoriginal, or in bad taste? Does it have a negative impact on that company’s image, or do people place little emphasis on April Fool’s and simply move on? It seems that for larger companies, especially ones that focus on innovation, like Google, a clever April Fool’s joke is not only expected, but can go a long way toward increasing their brand equity.

Tags: Uncategorized

0 responses so far ↓

• There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.