Reflection #5

Self-Assessment

Doing a self-assessment is always an uncomfortable process for me, however I do feel like there are a few areas that I can highlight.

Going into this course, I knew my writing skills needed some refining; especially in the areas of grammar and wordiness. While I think this course strengthened my grammar overall, I don’t feel like love for adding too many words really improved. Although I am fully aware of this bad habit, it is one I will have to continue to finesse.

For me, the assignments seemed quite daunting at times, however, I really ended up appreciating how they were strategically scheduled. For example, the progress report ensured I was on top of my vision for the formal report, and the outline we produced was so helpful for me to see how my report would be structured. I have learned that I am a very visual learner. I love lists and checking things off as I go, so to write out every detail of an assignment and be able to go back and use it as a reference point was invaluable to my writing process this term.

I will no doubt take what I have learned in ENGL 301 with me in both my education and my career as I am so confident now in developing correspondence that is professional yet effective, writing documents that follow specific technical guidelines and creating blogs. These are all skills that will ensure my success going forward!