Cumulative Reflection

ENGL 301 contained helpful techniques and approaches to technical writing. During the pandemic more of my time was devoted to writing emails than essays or short stories. In the past it was tricky trying to ascertain tone in emails. Learning  the “you” attitude is invaluable as it is essential tp achieve a professional tone. Another excellent exercise was the Complaint and Bad News Letter as it highlighted how to professionally handle conflict. Proposing and writing a formal report  for the Creative Writing Student Association was an unique experience.There were challenges in striking a balance between detail and brevity. This is a skill I aim to practice more in the future. Overall, pursuing an independant project for the Creative Writing Student Association was an unique expereince. The report will be revised and sent to the Interim Director in April.

The course text book and instructor’s blog was instrumental in providing guidance for the assignments. For practice I created mutiple drafts for assignments and rewrote and edited them until the submisson date.

My goal is to implement the skills learned in this course in future emails and other formal projects.

A complimentary notebook from UBC Creative Writing.