Monthly Archives: September 2014

iPhone 6 reseller’s lost out

As Apple releases iPhone 6 and 6 plus, a new fashion has been brought up. People feel cool when they walk around with an iPhone 6 or 6 plus in their hands. They want to get the iPhones as soon as possible so some of them would buy the phone no matter how expensive it is. Since the iPhone 6s haven’t been released in the mainland China yet, the dealers in the mainland’s grey market for smartphones see their chance of making big money. They stock the iPhones from US, and then resell them in China. Initially, they were earning an enormous monopoly profit, but then more suppliers come into the market– people from Hongkong. These individual sellers could get their hands on the new iPhones with a much lower cost, which means that they sell the iPhones at a lower price.

10537-2819-iphone-hkshop-l

Indeed people would go for a lower price. The accident subjected the grey market to a deadly blow. It is reported “they have lost heavily by betting on Apple’s new iPhone 6.” No one wants to buy the iPhones from them anymore, and they have stocked too much, they couldn’t even balance their cost.

As mentioned in Zhenxi’s post about iPhone 6 reseller’s lost out, these resellers were trying to earn big profit, but in the end they lost a lot. I think that they made couple mistakes during the process. They didn’t understand what business they are in; they targeted the vulnerable people, and they didn’t plan well ahead.

Picture:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/19/iphone-6-launch-day-scenes-from-around-the-world-

Alibaba–World’s Largest IPO

If you have never heard of Alibaba, then you might want to google it because it is the World’s largest IPO. Mr. Jack Ma, the CEO of this company has demonstrated to everyone that hard works pay off. This company was first established in 1999 as it grew bigger and bigger. People see potential in this company. On August 11th, 2005, Yahoo decided to invest $1 billion in cash, in exchange for a 40 percent stake in Alibaba. But then, Mr. Ma was worried that he gave up too much control. Without the board’s permission, he transferred the ownership of the company’s crown jewel—Alipay, to an entity that he controlled. His bold and courageous determined his success. Starting from a small company that’s in his apartment, Mr. Ma makes Alibaba a dominant force in China’s e-commerce.

Jack-Ma-Forbes

I feel like that I always can learn a lot from Jack Ma. I’ve seen a couple of his interview, and there is one quote that is inspiring, “You should learn from your competitor, but never copy. Copy and you die” I think that in my future career, this is a quote that I should always remember with my heart.

A Model for Other Provinces

Manitoba government is now working on a program called a model for the rest of the country. The working condition and health condition of the temporary foreign workers have been serious concerns. The reason why it’s hard to monitor is that no one is really taking responsibility of it. In 2009, Manitoba’s government passed Worker Recruitment and Protection Act (WRAPA), and they centres it. I think it’s a really efficient way of taking care the problems above. It requires the local businesses must register their temporary foreign workers with the government, so that the inspectors can check on their working conditions to make sure the workers are being treated appropriately and fairly.Manitoba’s government is trying to set themselves as a model and let other provinces’ governments to follow their actions. It’s hard to achieve, but it’s doable.

Temp Foreign Workers

Nowadays, Canadian people talks a lot about the working condition and health condition of the temporary foreign workers. I think if the government of every other province could address the issue, and improve those’s workers’ safety problem and working condition, then “working in Canada” would sounds more attractive to people who seeks job abroad all around the world. Thus, an increase in production efficiency level would raise.