Just think long term

What Blue Planet 2 Has Done to Consumers

16 years later, BBC came back with another miraculous nature documentary “Blue Planet 2”. I got obsessed with all nature documentaries ever since I watched the original Blue Planet because of its captivating visual and educational facts. I’ve been watching Blue Planet 2 lately and realized that there is a greater emphasis on environmental sustainability than before. The production team kept delivering subtle messages regarding saving the ocean and marine life throughout the entire film narrated by famous natural historian David Attenborough, and the film is so beautiful that it is almost impossible to not to reflect on my personal consumer behaviour and repent on the wrongdoing I’ve done to the Earth.

I came across an interesting article the other day, and it said that 88% of people who watched “Blue Plant 2” have now changed their lifestyle. In the last episode of Blue Planet 2, there was a scene where albatross parents fed plastic to their albatross babies, and it shocked many audiences as they realized the damaged they have done to the environment and these poor birds. New research conducted by a British supermarket chain called Waitrose shows that 88% of people who saw the documentary have since changed their behaviour as a result. Half of these people claimed that they had drastically changed their behaviour, and the other half claimed they had somewhat changed.

Now, boycotting plastic products is the hottest trend in the U.K., and people’s attitude towards plastic bags, straws and packaging will never be the same. There are also some numbers that struck me; in the report, the number of people who are now using reusable water bottles has increased by 60% than 2017, and over 70% of them are ranging from 18 to 24 years old. Waitrose’s customer service team has also got 800% more questions regarding plastic than ever.

It is interesting to see a momentous consumer behaviour change on account of one nature documentary. Behaviour change is a tough cookie to crack when it comes to sustainability, and marketers and governments have been working on this issue for many years. I think it is essential for researchers to study the film and understand why it caused the movement thereby being able to learn a new way to encourage people to think and act green.

Source: https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/88-blue-planet-2-changed-david-attenborough/

« »