Posted by: | 26th Jun, 2009

Top Dog

img_0373

I was trolling the streets of downtown Vancouver earlier this evening with friends, as I am wont to do when the weather is nice, when I came upon a line of people wrapped around the block on Burrard Street near the Scotia Theatre (pictured above).

At this point, we had no clue of the reason for the gathering crowd, but I figured it was one of two possibilities: it was some sorta sale, or an impromptu memorial for Michael Jackson. As one who never misses out on a bargain sale, or the opportunity to be a part of pop-culture history, I rolled up my sleeves to ready myself for some serious elbow shoving to get through the crowd, when something in the air caught my attention: the delectable aroma of barbecued sausages, and Japanese spices that I could not identify. img_0374

It turns out, the crowd of people were in line waiting to purchase a Japanese hot dog. I wasn’t aware such a thing existed. The menu is pictured on the left. I have always been hesitant to buy food from street vendors, but we simply could not resist the aroma, and the crowd of people was sufficient validation for us that this place should be okay.

I got the Terimayo, where the sausage is smothered in Japanese mayo, nori, teriyaki sauce, and fried onions, oh my! (pictured below) I am so excited and happy to discover a new alternative to hot dogs in the city!!

japadog

Responses

Mmmm!

I saw that stand at UBC once. But I never got a chance to try one.

I’ll defs try one next time 🙂

Leave a response

Your response: