Featherdale’s dilemma

The news analyze the input and output of the Featherdale Wildlife Park. It is much costly to maintain a zoo than I ever think. I really appreciate the words Mr Sinclair-Smith says:”Running a zoo is not all about profit. This is a clearly a business that must reconcile the welfare demands of the animals with the need to make money.” Featherdale dose a great work in balancing spending huge cost in taking off salary and taking care of animals and charging for earning money.

While, I don’t totally agree with the ways that Featherdale attracts visitors other than making the environment of the zoo nice. That is, allowing visitors to hug or even feed the animals. Since no one can guarantee that the animals are exactly friendly to people or the food carried by people is suitable to the specific animals. So it may be many uncertain factors that lead to chaos between visitors to animals. Moreover, visitors’ anticipation to be close to the pretty animals may somewhat disturb the normal work and rest of the animals, which affects animals’ health in some degree.

It’s really hard for Featherdale to figure out a most balanced solution to attract tourism as well as the give the optimal life to the animals. But it’s significant to achieve since that exactly reflect the essence of a zoo.