Comment on External Blog: “E-learning Benefits are Obvious: Why Don’t They Like It?”

by Winnie Ng

The gist of the blog post by Ronald Yu of Learning Solutions Magazine gives insight on why he thinks eLearning is not universally accepted due to cultural barriers, especially those barriers set-up by Asians and Arabs.

My response is that I think that eLearning is able to overcome cultural barriers as those who create it come from a variety of ethnic backgrounds. I disagree with the fact that Asians are “relatively tepid” in accepting eLearning as my father, who is from a Chinese background, introduced eLearning to HSBC back in 2005. I agree that different world views may lead to different learning styles, but I believe that it isn’t the idea of eLearning that is at fault, rather the delivery of it. In order to combat cultural barriers, the European Union holds annual eLearning conferences where many large corporations send their employees to attend seminars so that they can learn how eLearning works, and how they can implement it into their company effectively. Having attended the EU conference myself, businessmen and political figures worldwide have told me how they are currently using the innovation of eLearning and engaging their employees through it.

Source:
Yu, Ronald. (2011, May 9). eLearning’s Benefits Are Obvious: Why Don’t They Like It?.
Learning Solutions Magazine. Retrieved from
http://www.learningsolutionsmag.com/articles/674/