The Invitation

Posted by: | July 16, 2010 | 1 Comment

guerilla stones

It’s the end of the day and I think I hear a bird dog coming in and heading north to the airport. Two brush fires at the end of Lakeshore Road, far too reminiscent of the 2003 fires. I had to go to town this afternoon and the traffic heading into the upper mission was steady, understandable. The firestorm of 2003  missed Woodhaven by a stones throw, we were so lucky.

It’s dry underfoot here and crisp. I notice I am particularly vigilant this year with keeping track of the comings and goings. We get lulled into thinking it’s all good because there’s been so much rain. Don’t be fooled.

Saturday is the opening for the Summer Program for the Woodhaven Eco Art Project. Featured is a video from Michael V. Smith, a Nazca type drawing 60 feet in length of the endangered Western Screech Owl from Shed Simas, four viewing stations, one for each ecosystem from Byron Johnston, Brenda Feist is mapping systems of the body on plexiglass with the systems of Woodhaven as a backdrop, Nancy Holmes has created a delightful Alternate Guide for the park and I have reconfigured three of the steel works from the Dysfunctional Chair series at the Kelowna Art Gallery and built a brand new one, each will mark sites of former human occupation a midden, barns and a barbed wire fence.

Saturday, 1:30-4:30 is the opening for the spring program at Woodhaven. Please join us, we’ll offer you lemonade, a walk in the wonder that is Woodhaven, and interesting, funny, educational, thought provoking and beautiful art. What else is there?

I know what, it’s very dry underfoot and I can’t express enough how important it is to be “fire vigilant” this time of year. We are so fortunate to have Woodhaven and all the parks and preserved land we do in this region, taking care of it is everybody’s job.

Woodhaven is at 4711 Raymer Road.

1 Comment so far

1. Simonne on July 17, 2010 11:21 pm

Thank you so much for creating this blog! I have been a lover of Woodhaven for 20 years! (I can’t believe it has been that long!) So much has changed in the park over that time. I am so happy to see it open again, and to see the Eco-art project taking place. This blog and the lovely photos are a bonus!

Blessings to all who live in, visit and who love and care for Woodhaven!