Greek riots continue into second day

by E Wayne Ross on December 7, 2009

The Guardian: Greek riots continue into second day

More clashes during Athens demonstration over fatal police shooting last year of teenager Alexis Grigoropoulos

Protesters smashed store windows and threw rocks and firebombs at riot police who responded with teargas today, the second day of violence during commemorations for a teenager shot dead by police a year ago.

The killing of 15-year-old Alexis Grigoropoulos led to two weeks of rioting in Greece last year, with gangs of youths smashing, looting and burning shops across the country in protest at heavy-handed police tactics.

Today’s clashes broke out during a demonstration by about 3,000 people, mostly secondary school pupils, through the centre of Athens. Several dozen youths towards the back of the march attacked riot police with rocks, firebombs and firecrackers, smashing some of the bus stops, telephone booths and shopfronts not damaged in yesterday’s demonstration.

CNN: Protesters riot in Athens on police shooting anniversary—University dean injured

Athens, Greece (CNN) — The anniversary of a fatal police shooting triggered a new riot in Greece’s capital Sunday, with protesters occupying a university building and throwing rocks and burning garbage at police.
Riot police with gas masks and shields faced off against about 200 demonstrators, some of whom attacked and injured the dean of the University of Athens following a protest march Sunday afternoon, authorities said. The protesters were holed up inside and around the school’s administration building.
Police are barred from entering the downtown campus. Demonstrators broke up masonry from the courtyard of the 19th-century building and hurled chunks of the stone at police, who responded with stun grenades and tear gas and imposed a blockade of the building.
The university’s dean, Christos Kittas, was in intensive care after being attacked, and 16 police officers were injured, Greek authorities said.