An Entrepreneurial Lesson from Mark Zuckerberg

One of my favorite movies is The Social Network, which talks about the story of Facebook’s CEO, Mark Zuckerberg. He is a genius, a young billionaire, and a successful entrepreneur.

I’m impressed by the video that Mr. Zuckerberg spoke Mandarin during the whole public Q&A section at Tsinghua University on October 22.

920x920

Why Mr. Zuckerberg chose to speak Mandarin? I firmly believe this is one of his important steps to help Facebook enter into Chinese Market. According to Vijayalaxmi Hegde on her blog, it doesn’t matter whether Mr. Zuckerberg can speak fluent Mandarin or not. The main point is, as Hegde pointed out, Mr. Zuckerberg can acknowledge the power of languages and make use of them. This is very true. Although Mr. Zuckerberg’s Mandarin has accents, he is the first CEO that willing to take this challenge. In this case, I think Mandarin acted as a tool for Facebook to build a better customer relationship.

Some people believe a company should mostly focus on the existing market. Providing higher quality products and services to customers are what can help to keep brand loyalty and to maximize profit. However, this is not enough to satisfy an ambitious entrepreneur. In this case, Mr. Zuckerberg noticed an opportunity – What if Facebook becomes accessible in China? Or, what if Facebook treats Chinese customers as its new target customer segments? China is a country with a large population but lack of the accessibility of foreign social networks. So, Mr. Zuckerberg grasped the opportunity and tried to answer all questions in Mandarin so as to make his future customers happy. Once Chinese people can use Facebook, the company’s global market share will become larger. It will also bring a huge potential profit for the company.

How can a company become more successful? It needs an entrepreneur like Mark Zuckerberg. How to become a successful entrepreneur? The lesson Mr. Zuckerberg gives to me is to find and to grasp opportunities. In all, because of  Mr. Zuckerberg, I believe Facebook will be widely spread in China in the near future.