1st Blog for Marketing

Hi everyone, my name is Xiaotian Huang. I am from China and came to Canada just one year ago After a semester I named myself Shael which is pronounced similar to my first part of my first name since I found that it is hard to pronounce my name at the first glance. I take this course because I fully understand the importance of marketing though I have not spent much time thinking about stepping into the field of marketing. That is probably because I have little understanding and knowledge of this aspect in commerce. However, since no business can stay in operation without marketing, it will never be bad to have some basic ideas about marketing, so I am glad that marketing is included in my STT.

I only have experience with marketing as a consumer, but based on my interest in psychology I can always tell how some ads create wants and desire to increase consumers desire to buy the products. For example, CHUNGHWA cigarettes use the image of the Tiananmen Square and the slogan of “Love my Chunghwa(the same meaning as China)” to induce the patriotic feeling of people and make itself outstanding, thus making a great selling record in China. I don’t like those marketing strategy that induce people to consume something bad, though I do understand the power of those ads. That is also why I can enjoy a lot of ads but none of them can become a favorite of mine.

Relatively, I am more interested in the marketing strategies which focus on analyzing massive amount of information and get insight from it and then use the insight to meet the requirement of people. That is a process of knowing people and guessing the public’s opinion which themselves may even not know. That is an interesting process for me.

The personal experience I want to share with the class is that I have driven across Canada from Prince Edward Island to Vancouver this summer. I have never driven this long before and along the way I see the exceptional natural beauty of Canada. I experienced different city styles ranging from the old Québec city, Montreal to Toronto, Vancouver. I went through 9 provinces in total where I see the calmness of the great prairie the craggedness of the Rockies. It is really a great experience that you went to so many places in a row.

Above is pretty much about my first blog for marketing.