Government & Native: Corporation or Economics?

On October 5th, my classmate Danyang wrote a blog post entitled First Nation: Economics vs. Environment. By reading the news article that interlinking in the post, I knew that the federal government led by B.C. premier Christy Clark had a consultation with aboriginal representatives and it seems like a big step between their relationship improvement. Basically, both sides denoted that they are looking for having a good partnership and build win-win situation.

I agree with Danyang’s opinion that the relationship between government and first nation are quite dedicate. Both of them have different “baggage” which delayed their consultation. As Grand Chief Phillip said: “Reconciliation is not for wimps, it’s hard work and we must all leave our baggage at the door.” I questioned about the effectiveness of this consultation. They were only verbally agree to each other but none action have being realized. Is the speech given by the premier is valid or effective? Will they really put down their baggage and have a better conversation? Like the three solutions that Danyang mentioned in her post, I would suggest that the government better proved their words by practical action to improve the relationship with first nation.