Post #1 – Ethics issue in marketing

Targeted advertising is considered one of the most efficient ways for advertisers to market their products. However, these ads are based on complex online algorithms that must collect information from consumers online. The leader at this task is Google, it sells and advertises based on online activity of its users.

The ethical issue arises when online advertisers such as Google base their ads on sensitive information, such as health. As described by Matt Hartley in the article “Google’s Health Ads Run Afoul of Canadian Watchdog” the line between ethical and unethical practice is often unclear. In Canada the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) is in place to protect Canadian consumers and their sensitive information, but a clear distinction of the ethics “line” is not made.

The problem as I see it is that advertising has become more and more exploiting in nature as companies try to find new ways to reach their implied customers. Often when I am online I see a clear connection between the ads directed at me and what I search online, this makes me feel vulnerable. As I result, I believe the PIPED

A protection act must be refined to eliminate any blurred lines and protect sensitive data that consumers do not want to have accessed by advertisers.

Citations:

Hartley, Matt. “Google’s Health Ads Run Afoul of Canadian watchdog.” Financial Post Business Googles Health Ads Run Afoul of Canadianwatchdog Comments. Financial Post, 15 Jan. 2014. Web. 18 Jan. 2014. <http://business.financialpost.com/2014/01/15/google-inc-privacy-health-canada/?__lsa=dba6-815f>.