Marketing Colors the Way We See the World

As I came across Seth’s blog, I found this image…

For quite a while I stayed shocked after viewing such image. As I was becoming more and more worried about the radio reactants’ effect cased by the nuclear station explosion in Japan and the possibility of Vancouver’s potential earthquake these days, this image burned my eyes.

Coal mining, a business that is especially prosperous in my hometown, has its devastating nature long been forgotten by people today. Even though I have never experienced anything like a war caused by this rich resource, numerous serious coal mine explosions can never be erased from my memory . As these explosions happen almost every half a year on average,  uncountable workers died in these accidents. Yet, this hasn’t been paid much attention.

Therefore, Seth impressed me when he mentioned how people blame marketing whenever their expectations don’t match the reality. How true is that when you first stared at the image? As Seth puts it, “how much marketing colors the way we see the world – our reaction (either way) to this chart is proof of it.”