My thoughts on Liesl Bellack’s Blog Post “Negative Feedback is a….Positive??”

Browsing through peer blogs, I came across a post titled, “Negative Feedback is a…Positive??” posted by Liesl Bellack. This title caught my eye because we constantly are acquainted with feedback and their impacts – whether positive feedback or negative feedback; whether scholarly feedback or business feedback – feedback generally helps us develop our skills.

In School/University we get feedback in the form of grades and occasionally comments beneath the grades. If the feedback is negative, such as a low grade, we tend to improve it the next time around. Hence, a negative feedback turned into a positive feedback.

In some cases, however, it really depends on how negative the feedback is.

For example, a friend of mine found flies on his McDonald’s Burger the other day and was so angry about this incident that he went right up to the management and bombarded them with negative feedback.

No matter how many free Burgers McDonald’s offered my friend, he was still very upset about it and thus created a “negative word of mouth pyramid,” where he told all our friends about the incident with his Burger and thus brought the image of McDonald’s down.

However, this incident helped or HOPEFULLY helped McDonald’s realize that they need to pay closer attention to the preparation of their Burgers before serving their customers.

Citation: Bellack, Liesl. “Negative Feedback is a…Positive??” Liesl Bellack’s Blog. 20 Oct 2011. 21 Nov 2011 <https://blogs.ubc.ca/lieslmb/2011/10/20/negative-feedback-is-a-positive/>