The Importance of Leadership

After reading Yiwen Sheng’s blog How to build an effective team, I realized that to create a successful teamwork is not easy. In her blog, she pointed out that both personalities and skills of all team members are essential to determine the success of teamwork. I strongly agree with her. However, I also discovered that the leadership of a team is extremely crucial for developing a successful teamwork.

Speaking of leadership, there are lots of role models in the business world. For example, Google’s people-management system focus on creating a sense of belonging which makes every single employee feel that they are part of the community. Just like Yiweng mentioned in her blog, “Google announced that the secret ingredient for a perfect team is not member’s personalities but “being nice” and “joining in”. A good leader must realize that a team’s strategies for success require the combined talents and efforts. It is wise for the leader to create the sense of belongings so that all members will be more willing to contribute to the teamwork.

Another example of an outstanding leader is Bill Gates. His caring and empathy finally result in his great success of leading such a huge team. He once said to his employees: ” I hope you will reflect on what you’ve done with your talent and energy. I hope you will judge yourselves not on your professional accomplishments alone, but also on how well you work to address the world’s deepest inequities, on how well you treat people a world away who have nothing in common with you but their humanity.” Good leaders like Bill Gates understand the importance of empathy. They stay in grounded with all members and try to help each one of them dig out their potential abilities so that members will all have a better contribution to the teamwork.

From looking at two remarkable entrepreneurs, I have a better understanding of the importance of leadership within a business. Leadership is to provide motivation and help for groups of people to work towards the same goal.