In Response to “A Challenge to Sauder”

A provoking post that I’ve read is written as a challenge to Sauder itself as Jaideep Kular proposes that prospective Sauder hopefuls should write a detailed ethics plan as part of their admission requirements. In his words, “[students] need to lay out a detailed strategy of how they will achieve [their] goals.” Personally, I find the proposal idealistically brilliantly, yet flawed in its underlying assumption that every incoming applicant has at least some idea of how they want their business career to look, if any at all.

It’s completely realistic for each individual to have a general idea of life goals, but isn’t University the place where one finds themselves? I mean, many come into Sauder without a shred of insight regarding what they want to do with their lives, what to major in, and how to get there. In fact, I’m sure plenty chose business as it was the most “practical” choice rather than their number one passion. Yes, we all have a set of moral boundaries which we ought not to cross, but I certainly can’t lay out a detailed strategy as of right now regarding how to achieve my goals beyond the generic one liners. Hey, I WANT to have a clear strategy thought out already, but perhaps the process of discovery through failures, surprises, achievements, and downright life experiences is what I need to formulate that (still) imperfect strategy that’ll be more than just a cop-out.