Monthly Archives: November 2015

Is it necessary to LOVE your ex-employees?

Screen Shot 2015-11-19 at 9.21.51 AM

After class 19 which is about human resources and business cultures, I keep thinking about the successful business model of Zappos. Zappos is a creative company that shows great care for their employees. Zappos provides free food and snacks for its employees. Before official work, Zappos provides four weeks of training and all of its employees work in the same area on the exact same table. (even the CEO uses works on the same table beside the employees) Zappos’s business culture makes its employees feel like home therefore the employees always hold positive attitude when they are working. Their happiness is the key to enabling Zappos to provide high level of consumer service. This proves the saying “love your employees and they will give back more to you.”

Generally, we believe that if we love our current employees, they will give more back to us. However, after reading an article about Love you Ex-Employees by Michael Schrage, I found out that Michael came up with some interesting and practical opinions. Basically, there are four processes. These are respecting ex-employees enough so that they can generate referrals, making references, providing resources and even returning. Although returning is difficult and challenging, they are worth it. Some company would treat their ex-empolyees as defectors and traitors who are not welcome to return to the company. I believe showing respect to the exes is a form of respect for the current employees. Talented employees are fully aware of how the exes are treated since it projects how they would be treated as an ex. Leaving a company and exploring more options is not a sin.

Overall, getting those talented exes back is not an easy thing. To maintain good relationship and show respect to the exes are very necessary and the exes may even bring more opportunities back to the business.

SoleRebels VS Toms Shoes

Screen Shot 2015-11-17 at 10.46.18 AM

When I first heard about the idea of one-for-one model, I believe it is meaningful and can actually make a difference in the rural areas. I bought my first pair of Toms with the feeling that I am helping the society. This famous model is now adopted by more companies. However, is this model really effective? Can this action help those poor kids in the long run?

Although it is good for Toms to focus on one-for-one model as a solution to poverty, the unintended consequence is huge. First, this action would undermine local shoes’ businesses, especially those medium to small-sized ones. People won’t buy any shoes if they can get free ones. Also, this model can create dependency, sap local initiative, and pleases developed world buyers of one-for-one products more than it actually helps combats poverty. Overall, Toms gets a successful marketing but without actually solving the root of poverty. 

There is an old proverb in China, which is “Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.” I think this just illustrate the key problem of one-for-one model. Yes, Toms is a shoe company but it doesn’t mean that Toms should only focus on providing shoes to make the world a better place. If a business really wants to take responsibility, it should focus on “teaching people how to fish” instead of just giving them the “fish”. Toms is not concerned about the deeper causes of poverty thus inhibiting long-term solutions.

Screen Shot 2015-11-17 at 11.51.45 AM

On the contrary, SoleRebels is doing a great and innovative job. SoleRebels aims to provide jobs to Ethiopia citizens and pay excellent wages to their employees. It also provides medical coverage to its workers and their families. With extremely high and straight wages, medical coverage and free transportation, SoleRebels is actually building its own business model and giving incentives to the workers to work hard and get rid of poverty.

Compared these two Social Entrepreneur-ships, in my opinion, SoleRebels is actually solving the poverty problems by “teaching people how to fish” while Toms is just simply providing shoes to poor kids.

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article/one-one-business-model-social-impact-avoiding-unintended-consequences/

http://www.toms.ca/improving-lives

http://www.solerebels.com

China’s Alibaba breaks Singles Day record, AGAIN!!! (comment#2)

Screen Shot 2015-11-18 at 10.26.15 PM

China’s Singles Day is a big day for me because I can get incredibly low discounts on every single thing!!! Like most people, I wait until this day to buy all the things in my shopping list in order to save money. After spending 2000RMB on Taobao last night, I saw the news that Alibaba’s sales worth increases to $14.3 billion in 24 hours, this is a 60% increase compared with last year!

Screen Shot 2015-11-18 at 10.30.38 PM

I agree with the opinions on Wendy’s blog. Alibaba is an amazing company with social responsibility and has huge impacts on e-commerce market. However, I have some different thoughts about Alibaba. Alibaba began promoting the Singles Day as a shopping festival in 2009 and this move turned out to be a tremendous success. Singles Day now has become a signal for shopping instead of a holiday for single people. Precise market analysis and heavy marketing campaigns are the key factors of its success. In the lead up to the event, the firm hosted a four-hour TV variety show featuring Chinese celebrities and Western entertainers such as British actor Daniel Craig of James Bond fame. This successful gala attracted a lot of attention all over the world.

Also, the power of Chinese consumption is enormous. There are close to one billion smart connected device users in China which is a good news for the whole market. Alibaba seizes the opportunity by offering the consumers with wide choices and competitive prices. The variety services it offers to its consumers have build the brand loyalty so that Alibaba can break the record once and once again.

Hope Alibaba Group can break the record AGAIN next year!

Screen Shot 2015-11-18 at 10.26.48 PM