For better or for worse?

Snapchat’s recent turn down of Facebook’s $3 billion takeover offer has attracted many critics. Snapchat is an app that allows users to send picture or video messages that disappear once they are viewed. Currently in the market, social media is defined as shared and public interaction. Snapchat’s value proposition, allows their users to send pictures to their friends in an easy and fun fashion. Their services serve as a remedy to the mainstream services that capture life moments that can be liked and commented on, in other words, it offers privacy. Despite this, in my opinion, I thought Snapchat should have accepted the offer. Although, the young company demonstrates great potential for growth, their value proposition might not prevail in the long run. Personally, my experience with the app was initially indulging. However, over time it became repetitive. Snapchat might face future challenges in their value proposition, because it is hard to predict a market that is based on a fad. If Snapchat wants to retain their company value in the long run, they have to review their strategies and value proposition. So is Snapchat’s decision for better or for worse?

Read the article here: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/14/technology/rejecting-billions-snapchat-expects-a-better-offer.html?ref=technology&_r=1&