Treatise on the Nature of Zack

To start, I was born in Montreal but I’ve lived most of my life here in the Vancouver area. I took a gap year last year to travel and volunteer abroad. I volunteered in Fiji and Vietnam working as a teacher and mainly improvised lessons on the spot about anything from Science to Math to English. I also spent two months in Sydney working odd jobs and generally trying not to starve to death. I finished my trip with a week in Thailand for fun. I spent the summer at home and just a month ago saw my brother off, as he’s in Malawi, Africa, for the next ten months.

At the moment, I’m thinking of majoring in philosophy because I realize that for every question I might have about anything, someone much smarter than me has already thought about it much better and for much longer than I could. I hope to one day be a journalist but would rather die than write articles about vegan bedsheets on Buzzfeed.

Despite my best efforts, it is in my nature to be a loud-mouthed, know-it-all smartass who argues with everybody, about everything, all the time. You will all surely come to know this about me. I apologize in advance.

I can speak English fairly well (I hope), am semi-fluent in French, can speak some broken Fijian, as well as some positively poor Vietnamese.

I try to read as much as possible and am mostly interested in politics, philosophy and novels about exotic foreign lands. Some of my favorite authors are George Orwell, Christopher Hitchens, Kurt Vonnegut, Jean-Paul Sartre and Friedrich Nietzsche. I don’t read much poetry, unfortunately, as it makes my brain hurt.
I was loving my time at UBC, and in Arts One, until reading Plato gave me an uncountable number of complexes and syndromes that no amount of therapy will ever heal.