unknown date in November 2012

December 3rd, 2012 § 0 comments

I dreamt about a present world in which there had been a mysterious string of mass suicides and murders among youth and children.
Walking down a suburban street at night, through the circles of orange of the streetlights, nearly by accident I had reached a boy on the phone who knew what was going on, and, trying to hide my ignorance, I was asking him and he was telling me: The children knew something the adults didn’t. They were organizing huge gatherings with social media, with one purpose: to kill themselves and each other — because there was no hope for them. The world was too far gone. They had no future to live for.
I tried and failed to argue. By now I was inside one of the homes lining this dark street, pacing in a bare upstairs bedroom. Perhaps to help hide myself, I had been wearing sunglasses, and I now took these off. Immediately, the boy on the phone casually commented, Nice sunglasses.
They could see me. With video phones, webcams, digital cameras everywhere in nearly every home in the world, youth could monitor the globe. They knew better than anyone what the state of the world was. And it wasn’t worth living for.