Nori on Campus Review

I’m always trying to make lunch at home and bring it to school, but I always end up buying something to eat. One of my favorite places on campus for food is Nori. I reviewed one of my favorite bowls “Laksa” on here on candidoncampus.com

Enjoy

Preparing for Midterms at UBC & Using Old Exams/Midterms

New post is up here!

Discusses prepping for midterms, and info on old midterms and exams I have.

I have a hotmail that has over 10k emails and I managed to find some of my old notes and practice questions/midterms I used. As you can see how clogged that email is please contact candidoncampus@gmail.com not my personal email if contacting me about this.

Can read up more on preparing for midterms and all the materials I have at Candid on Campus.

Cheers everyone! ūüôā

Binta

What I’ve been doing since I graduated

An update on what I’ve been doing since I graduated is up and ready to go here.¬† One semester down 7 to go!¬† I detail what I did since graduating May 2015, to going back to school this semester.

Next post will be up on the weekend on preparing for midterms + past exams

Cheers,

Binta

Moving to www.candidoncampus.com

Hey guys,

Hope everyone’s winter break is going well!

After plenty of struggling with getting a domain, figuring out web hosting, I’ve managed to set up my new site ūüôā

Its candidoncampus.com

I was trying to move everything on here on there, and it just ended up a mess, so I kept it simple ūüôā I will republish the more popular posts from this blog on Candid on Campus

And will post updates on new posts here since this is my more popular platform at the moment.

I have some posts lined up regarding everything I’ve mentioned below and will space out the posting a bit. If you have been following this blog, you probably don’t need an introduction to me, but if you do here it is ūüôā

Posts to come

• Easy vs difficult courses at UBC
  • Getting into professional programs
  • ER Scribe and other health care work/volunteer opportunities
  • Improving your CV
  • Past exams!

So keep a look out, I will still update this site for a while before completely moving over. Happy New Years!

Binta

Winter Break

Hello everyone,

So it’s pretty much been tumbleweeds here, so much for being back to blogging.

I mentioned in my last post that I was going back to school, so to catch everyone up I am in the Pharmacy program at UBC ūüôā ūüôā

So shortly after my last post I went on vacation, got back into school, and expected that the first few weeks would be chill. WRONG. I’ve probably never been so overwhelmed with things to do, like there was no chill “syllabus” week, you really dive head first and sorta stay diving the rest of the semester.

The blog went over my head, and I finally got into the swing of things school-wise probably end of October. You just get used to always having things to do. Because it is a professional program at UBC, we’ve all been heavily reminded to keep things professional, inside and outside the classroom. So I had to think about how I would manage the blog going forward, what I would say, etc. I’ll still be myself, but probably a little bit more censored.

I actually have a long Christmas break for once, so I’m trying to sort out web hosting so I can get my own domain, I just need to figure out a name. I looked at the hipstername generator, but I think mortarandpestle was taken :'( That would have been the best name to be honest. Now I’m thinking of the site being more of a college hub, where I could have friends do guest posts, and cover more general non school topics. Also want to add more personal things like photos, etc. If you have any ideas for names, let me know. That is sort of my first priority so I can add most my new content/news on there.

On my to do list. Some of the things I mentioned on my last post were

• What I did since I graduated, what program I am going to, Post-graduation confusion, etc.
  • Post on ER Scribe FAQ (I will try and get in contact with the doctors so this one might take a while, there is no information out there for Canada jobs so I will try my best)
  • Notes/Any old midterms
  • Plans for a new domain ‚Äď going to blog on here for a while, but should be switching over hopefully before new years just need to figure out a domain name.

So I accomplished one thing lol. I have a bunch of free time this break so I’m excited to really get into everything, and fingers crossed my new domain is set up for new years where I can share everything I’ve been up to. I still get emails about old midterms. I don’t know if I can publish it, so I may just have to set up a separate email and just send what I have in blasts, still working that out. Also don’t know how relevant my stuff from years ago is, but I know how prepared Science undergrads like to be ūüôā

So will be back here once I have my domain name, and hope to build a site that can be my little passion project going forward in the way this blog was my passion project when I started undergrad.

Anyways, I know most people are currently cramming their lives away at Woodward or Irving. Good luck on finals! And Happy Holidays :):)

Back from Hiatus

Long time no blog ūüėÄ

I completely fell off from blogging during my last year at UBC, and didn’t even recap my graduation…sad!

I still get emails and Facebook messages from inquiring minds and I will definitely try and post something answering all the common emails I get. ¬†Most questions seem to surround notes, midterm tips, my ER Scribe job, and miscellaneous course information. ¬†Just so you guys know I unfortunately don’t have many notes/old midterms. My favourite part of a course ending was throwing everything away lol. ¬†I’m going to re-organize all my school stuff and go through my emails to see if I find anything in particular and just post everything I have on here. ¬†So if it’s not on the list, you can be assured that I don’t have anything.

Also in other news, I’m going back to school! Yikes, never thought I’d be back at UBC but here I am, getting ready for another degree to add to the list (FYI it’s not med school lol, I’ll go into that in my next post) ūüėÄ

I regret not blogging since graduation, because I think post-grad confusion is something MANY people face, and I could have shared some of the things I did during that time as they were happening. ¬†Safe to say, I explored many routes, worked full-time and took some courses on the side, and tried to figure out what I’d do. ¬†It’s also really interesting for me to look at old posts on here because it seems like a different person. ¬†I don’t think I’m quite as immature and erratic now, maybe a bit, just not as much as I’m seeing in some old posts lol. ¬†I contemplated deleting them, but YOLO, that was me at 18-22.

So I just wanted to throw a post on here. So for upcoming posts, my plan for the next month

• Notes/Any old midterms
  • Plans for a new domain – going to blog on here for a while, but should be switching over hopefully before new years just need to figure out a domain name.

Anyways, thanks for reading.

Binta

MCAT Summer Update & Courses

Hello Everyone!

Hope everyone had a great summer, been super busy these last few weeks!  A large majority of my summer was dedicated to studying for the MCAT, which stressed me out so much and is honestly the biggest test I’ve taken in my life so I was definitely stressing.  I was initially suppose to take it August 27, decided I needed at least 2 more weeks since I wasn’t done content review, and really needed to have at the very least 2 or 3 weeks to just do problems/practice tests.  So I postponed it to September 18, which gave me enough time to iron out some details.  You will always feel unprepared because a week before September 18 I was wanting more time, glad I didn’t have the choice (missed the deadline to postpone), because I pretty much prepared the most I could.  Because I was preparing for the test for the first few weeks of school, school definitely took a backseat.  Missed classes because of studying/taking classes.  Now I am so so so behind on school and I am going to have to work really hard since I have a midterm in less than 2 weeks, along with quizzes, lab reports, etc.

As for the MCAT, I found that Physical Sciences and Verbal Section went really well, they were along the lines of the AAMC practice I took, and even though my Physical Sciences section seemed really unbalanced with Physics, it went well.  For the first time ever I actually had time left over for verbal reasoning, so I was feeling good after the second break.  Bio however, which was my strongest section on the practice tests, I was ranging 11-13 on the practice tests and somehow the first passage made no sense to me, super experimental, felt like there was some missing information.  I spent too much time on it causing me to really rush through the rest of the section, managed to have like 4 minutes left at the end and rather than go back and review questions I was unsure of, I went back to the first passage to try again, and still didn’t understand it, so I feel bad about this section.  Normally I would wait for scores to come out and decide what to do, but because January is literally the last time to take the MCAT before they change it (adding Psych/Biochem/Socio), I registered for the January date to have a peace of mind.  If my score isn’t what I want it to be, then I have another chance in January.  It sucks because its another 300 being spent, but if I waited for my score to come (about a month), then there might be no seats available then.  I gotta say, this is the most expensive test ever, not just the test, but the practice tests, self assessments, books.  If you are planning on taking the MCAT in the future and using their resources (practice tests, self assessments), definitely anticipate spending over 600.

Now this semester I am taking MICB 402, MICB 408, and Bio 153.  First time ever that I am taking only 3 courses at UBC, but Bio 153 is 7 credits, year-long, and literally the lab is a course itself.  I am only taking it because so many US schools are specific about their requirements and 1 year of Bio with lab is one.  Even though Bio 140 is a lab, it was done in one semester, and I don’t know how I would explain to them that the fact that it’s a course by itself makes it equivalent to a year of bio lab along with a course.  Figure I’d rather avoid complications and just take a year long Bio course with lab.  So far, the class seems like a lot of work, and the labs are 45%.  Regardless of the late start I really hope to get my highest average this year, and hopefully get more involved too on campus.

UPDATE

Hello everyone! ¬†I haven’t posted in a while, been very busy these last few weeks. ¬†Another year done, and I’m glad this past year was my highest average to date at UBC. ¬†There was a lot that happened, including my first ever withdrawl at UBC, it was MICB 325 (probably one of my easier courses, I’ll go into why further in the post never thought the time would come, but it happens!) ¬†First of all I get a lot of emails about the ER Scribe position, I don’t want to call it luck, I made it past the interview, but just finding the opportunity was luck. ¬†I never heard of “ER Scribe” until I saw the email from Premed Society. ¬†And now I hear there’s a program starting up at St. Johns Hospital, this is great that its spreading now. ¬†Its an opportunity more available in the states, and there should be more programs available in Canada.

Now for the courses I took.  I took MICB 325 (W), MICB 308, FNH 351, ISCI 330B, PHYS 102

MICB 308

This course: ughhh. ¬†That’s how I feel about it. ¬†I knew it was going to be my hardest course from what I heard from people who took it. ¬†I expected it to be my lowest grade, it was. ¬†Whats strange about this course is that it kind of takes you by surprise, it does not feel hard throughout the whole course. ¬†I did well on my pop quizzes, and if that’s not judging if your keeping up, what is? ¬†I thought the material was fair, it wasn’t an obscene amount, it was a lot to memorize, but thats standard for most micb courses at UBC. ¬†The midterm went well for me (the prof never told us the average -___- atleast I never heard it, and everyone I asked didn’t know, thats a first), so I just assumed/hoped that I did 5% better based on the general consensus that it was an easy midterm. ¬†The fact that I had 3 other midterms less than 24 hours before this midterm didn’t affect my grade, I kept up the whole term. ¬†Well anyways my final grade dropped like 10-15% than what I went into the final exam with. ¬†Judging that the average for the class was in the 60’s, im guessing a majority of people had the same thing. ¬†I knew the final went bad, it was just so weird because out of all my exams I was the most prepared for this one.¬† Multiple techniques were presented in class but I don’t know how to explain it, I felt like for an exam that tests details some questions felt ‘up in the air.’ ¬†The questions that were memorization based (eg. Pap pilus assembly) I did great on. ¬†I think I gave solid answers on those technique based questions, but I know I didn’t do well on those. ¬†I’ve debated going to see my exam, and decided not to because honestly I am lazy this summer and have way too much to do with MCAT prep and travelling plans as well. ¬† And OMG i forgot something else… I honestly think this was a bit cruel. ¬†Why emphasize to students that the final exam is cumulative? ¬†I actually asked on the discussion board to make¬†sure about a week before the exam, and was told once again that it was cumulative. ¬†6 Questions on the final and not one question was premidterm. ¬†WHY? ¬†UGH. ¬†I was so agitated walking out of the exam cause I thought I had it figured out that 1/6 would be a pre-midterm and something not tested on the midterm (likely complement pathway). ¬†The fact that I spent half a day reviewing pre-midterm really frustrated me afterwards. ¬†What is the point of saying the final is cumulative..like at least throw a 1 bonus question pre-midterm, all those 6 questions were post-midterm specific. ¬†If next year is anything like this year, just know cumulative is code word for post midterm only. ¬†Anyways, yeah I think its safe to say this is going on my “least favourite course experience list” which is unfortunate because I actually enjoyed the material. ¬†I always enjoy MICB topics, but courses like this….Overall I am fine with the grade, I knew this class would be brutal for the final which is why I tried to do really really well on the midterm and pop quizzes to beef up my grade the most I could.

PHYS 102

On a lighter note, I didn’t mind Physics at all. ¬†I was definitely the most scared about this course which is why it took me till 4th year to take it! ¬†I ended up doing well, and it’s one of my higher grades which is a shocker for me. ¬†Did better in PHYS 102 than PHYS 101 and it’s because I fixed a lot of bad habits. ¬†Number 1: ask for help, thats what the TA’s are there for. ¬†First year I foolishly did everything by myself, even when I didn’t understand like i wouldn’t ask for much guidance. ¬†During tutorials/labs this time around I would always get clarification when necessary, and trust me its the difference between getting a high A in lab/tutorial/homeworkassignments and getting a B. ¬†I also used Physics for Dummies for topics where I just needed a simple introduction and understanding. ¬†Like I did not learn one thing about capacitors or resistors from that textbook… The new textbook confused me for the first 2 weeks, and when I stopped following it super close, I started understanding everything a lot more. ¬†I’m also really glad i took it because Physics is on MCAT and I think this will help me have a better understanding of things I could not grasp last time I studied for MCAT. ¬†Also, for many med schools in the states 6 credits of Physics is necessary, so I had to get it out of the way. ¬†My final exam did bring my grade down a bit, but not much, I really need to figure out a better final exam strategy.

MICB 325

This course was great while it lasted. ¬†I honestly knew knew knew I should not have taken this course. ¬†I am doing a 5th year which is very empty in terms of courses, and it would’ve been smarter to take it then, and spread out my courses. ¬†Instead I took it this year crammed with working part-time and my horrible, horrible midterm schedule I just knew it was a disaster so I had to withdraw. ¬†I felt bad that I’d now have a W on my transcript, but I know that I’ll take it next year when I have time in my schedule. ¬†Now my time in the course wasn’t great. ¬†I would rather have dropped MICB 308, but I need MICB 308 for MICB 408 next year. ¬†The lectures are VERY important, because all you do is solve problems which is my kind of class! ¬†Little memorization, and lots of problem solving. ¬†I really liked the topics, and the courses I took in the summer set me up perfectly for this course: BIOC 302 and BIOL 234. ¬†The problem with the course is that the prof is very ambiguous a lot of the time. ¬†A lot of his problems have multiple answers, or unclear answers, and whenever someone corrects him, I get the feeling that someone probably made the same correction last year and that it was never fixed… I don’t know theres just a lot of ambiguity, which in real-life I find interesting to find flaws in science and whatnot, but when it might affect my grade, then I start feeling some kind of way. ¬†Now last year the midterm average was like mid 80s and this year it was low 72, which he said was high. ¬†Overall it was one of my favorite courses, just because of the structure, also liked how the class was dimly lit (random). ¬†I’ll be taking it next year as soon as registration opens, hopefully goes better then!

FNH 351

So this class is A LOT OF MEMORIZATION. ¬†I would say on a higher level than Anat, MICB and Physio courses. ¬†Seriously and this is WITH a cheat sheet. ¬†Even with a cheat sheet, its so much to memorize I think I nearly got carpal tunnel writing out my cheat sheet. ¬†Preparing for this midterm was hell, but I felt prepared, and was glad I would be getting my pre-midterm 6 hours of sleep, but then I randomly decide to look at the syllabus..and found out that for the midterm the cheat sheet is to be ONE SIDED. ¬†You can imagine the panic that went through me. ¬†WHY ME? ¬†Literally, the cheat sheet was microscopic, both sides, now I had to give one side up. ¬†I chose a side and frantically found a big eraser and started going ham on that side of the paper. ¬†Realized there were parts(headers) in pen, and I had no white out, so I was just brainstorming ideas like gluing a white paper to one side. ¬†Foolishly didn’t think scanning one side and printing it wouldn’t work because the writing was soo small, but it did, and after running to chapman learning commons the next morning and struggling to scan the page for 30 minutes (chapman scanner wasn’t working with the printer), I scanned it and sent it to the computers on the floor below, and it worked. ¬†I then crammed for the life of me the material on that one side that I got rid of. ¬†If I didn’t have my Physics exam later that night I probably wouldn’t have slept but I knew I had to, and I’m glad I did, because the midterm went really well (my best midterm out of the whole bunch) and so did Physics so it worked out. I wouldn’t take this course unless it was a requirement. ¬†I am integrating nutrition, and there are only a few FNH courses that count as Science, so that’s why I had to take it. ¬†And also if you have a gut feeling something is a bit off, go and check, because I did and the prof submitted a grade change document and my final grade went up 2%. ¬†This isn’t the first time this has happened to me at UBC, so now I am a lot more precautious every time I see a grade, I try and double check some every now and then. ¬†The final felt like twice the information of the midterm with a one sided cheat sheet, it was pretty rough but it could have went worse, overall the course was OK.

ISCI 330B Science and Culture

This is one of the required courses I have to take in ISCI, well theres a bunch of courses to choose from, I just chose this one based on the title/description.  It was interesting, ISCI courses usually are, and ISCI profs tend to be my favourites as well.  During the course there were many presentations, and it centered on a book wrote by an author that was actually teaching with our main prof.  Overall I enjoyed it, anything would be great when you compare it to the other 4 really.

So while it was a whirlwind semester, I’m still happy how I left it, I am a far better studier today than I have ever been. ¬†How much would you guys pay to have a conversation with your first year self? ¬†Seriously! ¬† Anyways as for my plans, I am doing another year, next year will be my last! ¬†Finally! ¬†This summer is based on one thing and one thing only which is the MCAT. ¬†No summer school courses to distract me this time around, I have all my focus on MCAT. ¬†I’m following a pretty structured schedule right now and its tough but very necessary, I have high aims for this MCAT. ¬†I’m literally giving myself ~3months to focus on solely this. ¬†I have had many people tell me all I need is a month. ¬† FALSE. ¬†Definitely need more time than that, I have already found so many weaknesses, little things I need to work on, and I’m just starting. ¬†And I want to get through more than half of the AAMC Practice Finals, and to do 2 a week would already take 2 weeks (i think doing more than 2 a week might be a bit much) and thats already half a month… ¬†Unless your a walking Greys Anatomy textbook, I recommend you give yourself some time. ¬†For example, judging from SAT’s, I’m not great at Verbal Reasoning, and those kind of techniques take time. ¬†I am aiming for a 33+, and it’s a big goal I’ll be very disappointed if I don’t get it, but if I don’t I’ll sign up for the exam 1 month following it. ¬†I am using The Berkeley Review Books/ an AAMC¬†Official Guide Book/ EK 1001 at the moment. ¬†I’ll make sure to update in a month or so how MCAT studying is going.

New Semester Update

Hey everyone, hope everyones semester is going well.  This is probably my busiest semester since 1st year, in terms of workload alone.  I am taking 5 courses and a lab.  Why?? Because I am here next year and cant even risk something going wrong next year.  I have to take FNH 451, MICB 407/408 next year and I could push my MICB 325 to next year but what happens if FNH 451 and MICB 325 are on the same time, or something else like that going wrong.  Being my 5th year I cant take any chances, and my ISCI mentor advised me to do MICB 325 this year..so I am taking 5 courses, and a lab, to make matters worse, my midterm schedule is something else!

Midterm dates:

February 13, 2014 11am – 12:30pm FNH 351 Midterm

February 13, 2014 6pm – 7:30pm PHYS 102 Midterm

February 14, 2014 10am – 11am MICB 325 Midterm

February 14, 2014 12pm – 1pm MICB 308 Midterm

I have no words lol. ¬†I have emailed my FNH 351 prof to postpone my FNH midterm, that class is an incredduloous amount of memorization, Bioc302x2 to me. And MICB 308 is memorization based as well. I just think its the most reasonable to postpone, there should be midterm hardship like exam hardship. ¬†PHYS 102 isnt worth too much, but the others are 20-30%. ¬†If the prof denies my request I will ask if I can take FNH 351 earlier, i’d prefer taking it a few days earlier to this situation.

Anyways a summary of how my classes are going at the moment.  I am taking MICB 325, MICB 308, PHYS 102, FNH 351, AND ISCI 330B

MICB 325

Love the style of this course, class goes by quickly because your actually thinking/problem solving the entire class. ¬†Class is mostly based on clickers, and I don’t think studying for the midterm will be too bad, because going to class is the same as studying/learning. ¬†Theres homework 2 times a week, and its super doable, quick, simple and to the point. ¬†And even better this class i’snt really memorization based. Taking BIOL 234 in the summer definitely helped me reinforce some of the more difficult topics.

MICB 308

On the other hand, this class is memorization based. ¬†Taking MICB 302 beforehand is a good idea. ¬†I’m not a fan of the pop quizzes, it prevents a situation of cramming near the midterm but I like to learn on my own time, but I always feel like I have to be completely up to date because of the pop quizzes. ¬†So far material seems interesting, but still just a lot of memorization. ¬†I do like how her notes are organized though, very clear and concise, but still a lot to take in.

PHYS 102

Really dreaded taking this class. WISH i did Phys 100/101 because I could have! ¬†I never took Grade 12 Physics I don’t know how I even got into Phys 101 to begin with. ¬†Took Phys 101 2010W..so pretty much forgot everything lol. ¬†Whats worse is its been so long since math that a lot of the basic math is gone as well. ¬†The new textbook isn’t great, I got Physics for Dummies just to dumb it down for myself lol, and I was able to do the problems, and understood everything a lot more after reading the Physics for Dummies. ¬†Also because they switched textbooks, no more mastering physics, also means never finding solutions online, which may be a good thing cause then I’m forced to try everything myself.

FNH 351

TOO much memorization. ¬†We had one quiz, and the multiple choice options were soo similar literally one word differentiates them all out of a list of vitamins. ¬†Its just ridiculous, and whenever I find myself in a class like this, I kind of detach myself. ¬†Because I remember Biol 204 where it was a lot of memorization, and I tried the whole understanding thing, didnt work, with these courses better off just memorizing everything. ¬†I cant fall behind, I didn’t think it could get worse than FNH 350, but 351 is worse. ¬†I try taking minimal minimal notes in class because the content is overwhelming enough without adding a lot.

ISCI 330B – Science and Culture

This is one of the ISCI courses, and I was a little worried because the prof said this was the first time them trying this particular course, but I like the structure, and the class is definitely more engaging than most of my other courses. ¬†I have a group, and our presentation falls on “my hellweek” lol so its the tuesday before my midterms. ¬†That week is going to be crazy stressful.

First Semester Done!

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas, I happened to get super sick, so I’ve been sleeping a lot and studying for my L test (I know I am late! ¬†I’ll have that done before the break ends, and should have my N by the time I graduate)

So I’ve gotten most of my grades back (MICB 306 still hasn’t come..their notoriously late in terms of handing things back for this course, same with MICB 302). ¬†I am glad I didn’t have one standout bad grade, like usually one course throws things off, but I did well on everything, I discovered a lot of things I was doing wrong in terms of studying, and I am so glad I changed them.

FNH 350

This course is pretty much a biochemistry course, and I actually found it more difficult than Bioc 302, because there were a lot of details to memorize, there was too much to memorize, and atleast Bioc 302 final is not cumulative of the entire semester. ¬†So its an 8 am course and you have to be there for every lecture mwf, because the prof deletes parts of the slides, so you must show up to fill them in. ¬†Now I missed 2 classes this semester due to being either ill, or having way too much to do with other courses. ¬†I realized how bad that was for me studying for finals, cause I could only imagine what I missed on the slides, another thing, is I have no friends in this class lol. ¬†The class is half full every class so I know people trade off lectures, and dont care to show up knowing their friends there will give them the notes. ¬†I’m a little hesitant asking strangers for the last lectures notes (I wouldn’t be 1st year at UBC, I am now, once you’ve been here long enough, you understand how some people are! ;)) ¬†Regardless of that, the midterm was 30%, quizzes 10%, and that component I had a really high A, close to an A+. ¬†Now the variables for me were the group project, I overestimated how well my group did (not really i assumed we got 75) so didn’t devote as much time to the final exam as I should have. ¬†I did well but definitely got lower than I expected ūüôĀ ¬†I wish I knew my group project grade before studying for the final, would have made a difference. ¬†Regardless I did well, and it was definitely an interesting course, I learned a lot. ¬†And this course would be torture if you had never taken Bioc 302, I don’t recommend taking this without taking Bioc 302 beforehand.

MICB 306

So I had heard this was one of the more lightweight Microbio courses, in terms of 3rd year level, so I wasn’t too worried. ¬†But the course changed a lot this year, and Kion was the prof for the first 2 midterms. ¬†The first midterm was 30% and I did really well, the class had an average of 81% which is great for a MICB course 3rd year level. ¬†The second midterm also 30% was too long, and it seemed methodically done, because I only knew a few people who finished. ¬†I didn’t finish, and I wish I knew beforehand it’d be obscenely long, I’d go through the exam and do the problems I knew I could get full marks on right away. ¬†There were a lot of questions at the end I wish were in the beginning. ¬†Regardless the class average for the second midterm was 64, and I was around there ūüôĀ ¬†She said there was a possibility of scaling, so honestly I wouldn’t mind a 5% scale up, that’d be perfect lol. ¬†I dont know if they will scale, because the final was pretty easy. ¬†Pretty straight forward, and to the point, nearly half the class left the exam early, and I know the average has to be in the high 80s (im guessing) for the final, so we will see. ¬†It’d be a shame if the second midterm is what prevents me from getting an A, hoping I did well enough on the final.

GERM 200

So I love studying for German opposed to my other science courses, its more relaxing, not just memorize, memorize, memorize. ¬†However, things have changed from 100 level to 200 level. ¬†They don’t give practice midterms anymore, and honestly that was the best part. ¬†I knew if I did the practice midterm/final 2 times I’d guarantee an A on the exam. ¬†I got an A in the course, but nothing close to my Germ 100 grade, because there were less resources, and obviously because its more difficult, its intermediate. ¬†I really wanted to finish Germ all the way to 210 level, but I think I’m going to stop now. ¬†It’s not necessary for my degree, and Germ 210 is apparently a lot of speaking, which is my weakest point. ¬†Times like this you have to choose grades over interest. ¬†I figure I can continue learning one summer on my own.

ECON 310

This class, I took it because I wanted to take at least one Econ class before leaving UBC, my friend recommended it, and was taking it, so I took it.  MICB 306 exam was at 7pm, and this exam was at 12 pm the next day, so I already knew sacrifices had to be made.  Definitely hope it was worth it because I am still waiting for my MICB grade to come out.  This class is pretty straight forward, read the book, do the Aplia, do the problems, and it should be fine.

——

Overall biggest change I made this semester was for the science courses. ¬†The change was to completely ignore the textbook, why didn’t someone tell me this earlier? I wish someone told me this earlier..honestly! ¬†My average would be atleast 5-10% higher if I knew this earlier. ¬†So for MICB courses especially I find, ignore the textbook, and focus on the slides. ¬†I used to focus on the textbook and use the slides for review, and its way more work, way more to memorize, and less time to review. ¬†I think I had high school mentality which is, if you see assigned readings, I read, and thats my main focus. ¬†I don’t know why it took me so long to figure it out, and the time of studying for midterms decreased substantially. ¬†Way more time to re-read, and review when your focusing on one thing, not two. ¬†I still have MICB 407,408, and 308 to go so luckily I wont make the same mistakes! ¬†Still makes me sick that I figured it out this late though. ¬†So essentially unless they say reading is mandatory, its not. ¬†Regardless my GPA so far is looking better than before, and this is putting in less work, looking back I wish I did this for classes like Biol 200, and Biol 204! ¬†Better late than never!

Hope everyone is enjoying their break! ūüôā

Calendar

February 2018
M T W T F S S
« Jan    
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728