Summer Goals/New Job

Trees outside my place.  I love Vancouver weather in the summer.

1) GET MY LICENSE!  I actually turned 20 recently and its pretty pathetic that I don’t have my license yet.  My family moved around a lot, so I didn’t bother starting the process, and then I went to UCLA, and was on campus 98% of the time so why bother, and now I’m at UBC where the public transportation is ridiculously good, you guys don’t realize how good it is.  It’s better than Toronto, San Francisco, and LA, seriously.  And UBC hit me sideways in terms of difficulty..so keeping up academically became my sole priority.  Now I realize how important it is to have one, having it as ID is good, and its better to get it out of the way now than later.  So I am officially starting the process this summer.  It’s just so much easier to do it in the states so I wasn’t worried, now I hear its a long process involving several different types of licenses here in Vancouver..so I’m not excited for that.

2)  GET FIT!  I don’t care about health during the school year to be honest, and how people in Vancouver run in the rain outside…is beyond me!  I don’t want to get that serious, just buy better food, and exercise, but things I enjoy like walking and playing tennis.  I remember playing tennis every week for a whole summer once.  Now the last time I was in a gym I actually fell asleep lol..so it’s good to engage in things I enjoy.

3) Save money!

4) Read as much personal books(as in not assigned) as I can, I love to read and need to take advantage of this time that I have.  I read series, and want to catch up on all of those, then just dive in, and start looking for book ideas on amazon…I can’t wait!  There goes that inner nerd coming out.

5) Explore Vancouver.  People always bring up certain places, and I’m like ‘never been there.’  I’m a homebody lol, snuggling up to movies and sour patches >> going out to some park.  But I can’t live in the most ‘liveable’ city and not go see it, so I need to check out more places in Vancouver.

6) Deal with UBC ‘stuff’.  Also known as, finalizing courses, this isn’t the time to take courses I don’t need, I actually want to be out of UBC in 4.5 years max…  So if that means Integrated Sciences major, I have to go to UBC, see an advisor, set up the courses asap.  If that means Combined Major, I have to just set up my courses, and make sure it’s not too heavy since I’ll be working.  Hoping I can maneuver my schedule to have at least one full open day during the week of no class.

As for my job, I’ve only worked 3 shifts so far..but I’ve learned so much!  In terms of getting medical experience to apply for med school, I feel like this owns doing research on so many levels.  Research was something I wanted to do, for the sake of it, and because its what everyone else seems to do that gets into medical school.  Based on my paranoia in chem 235, thinking I was one second from blowing something up every 2 seconds, I think it’s clear I don’t belong in a lab, at least not for long periods of time 🙂  I’m so glad this opportunity fell in my lap.  I’m learning about different drugs, seeing how the doctor makes diagnoses, seeing first hand the interaction between doctor and patient.  Its like shadowing with more responsibilities.  First ER Scribe program in Canada right now, but I have a feeling it will spread to other hospitals eventually.  Anyways, hope everyone is enjoying their summer!  🙂

About binta

UBC First year student. :)

16 responses to “Summer Goals/New Job

1. Kelvin Choi

Nice to hear all these fun things that you’re doing! Especially ER scribe, that sounds intense but really cool. Haha if you need help on your ISCI app let me know! I usually help a lot of ppl with that sort of thing and maybe I can suggest some stuff to integrate. And you can also ask Tyler.

2. Steven

Hey!

I accidentally stumbled upon your blog as I was searching for job opportunities haha. I was wondering if it’s possible for you to e-mail me some information about the ER sribe job you are currently doing. I would really love the opportunity to do something like that! I tried searching for information on the internet but I could barely find anything 🙁

Thanks a lot! Awesome blog by the way!

PS: I think we may be in a lot of the same classes! Are you a biology major? I took biol 204 in Fall 2011 as well! Maybe I’ll see you around! 🙂

3. Hanaya

Hi Binta, super nice blog. I was just searching for a ER scribe program in Vancouver and your blog opened. Would you please send me some information regarding the program? Thanks a lot. Hanaya

4. Zara

Hi Binta,

Thanks for your great post! I am really interested in learning more about this ER scribe job. Could you please email me some more information. I’d like to know where to apply for this sort of thing. Thank you!

5. Samantha Mee

Hi Binta!

I was just searching for some courses at UBC, and your website popped up. Like the people (above) me, I was wondering if you could pass on any information regarding the ER scribe job. It would be much appreciated. Thank you so much!

6. Mel

Hey Binta,

I love reading your blogs! You’re one year older than me and I feel like I’m going through the exact same thing as you. I keep thinking about switching majors!

Your new job as an ER scribe sounds very exciting. Would you be able to email me some information regarding how to apply for such opportunities? Thanks!

7. Laurel

Hey Binta,

I love reading your blogs! My experience at UBC has been super similar to yours, and your advice has really helped me through figuring out my degree.

Your job as an ER scribe sounds very exciting. Would you be able to email me some information regarding how to apply for such opportunities? Thanks!

• Glad I helped 🙂 The ER job really fell on my lap, it was 100% luck, My interview was the only thing good I did really. But I was part of PRe Med Society at UBC, they emailed me and I sent in my resume to the doctor. I would google vancouver volunteer hospital. There are a lot of positions, and once established you can go from there. Also emailing profs for research positions if your interested, it works sometimes.

8. B

Hi Binta! Do you mind sending me more information about the ER scribe as well? I would also like your past exams & notes for all MICB courses that you have taken and BIOC 202/302! Keep updating ur blog, love it!

9. S

Hey Binta!
    Would you please send me some information about ER scribe? I was thinking about it and came across your blog and realized there is one in vancouver! Please please please send me some information to my email. Thanks!

10. BH

Hey! Could you please send me some information about the ER scribe job? Thank you so much and hope everything is going well for you! 🙂

11. Nella

Hey Binta, I know you get this a lot but I hope you are not sick of responding yet, I was just searching for a ER scribe program in Vancouver and your blog appeared in the search results (Love your blog btw). Would you please send me some information regarding the program in Vancouver – or in other Canadian cities/towns you are aware of? Thanks a lot.

12. Gabe

Hey Binta,
    Just like everyone else here I am looking for info about the ER scribe program. If you could please email me, that would be great.
    Thanks

13. Sean

Hello Binta,

I would also greatly appreciate any info. regarding the ER scribe program. Would you please be able to email me regarding the details of the program?

Thanks so much!
    Hope everything has been well.