Change

Posted by: | July 24, 2013 | 2 Comments

The movie, Freedom Writers, has a main character who resembles many of us new teachers coming out of this new program. We are idealistic, creative, and bold. We also do not have the experience, nor seniority, as other teachers. This teacher overcomes her struggles with her students in their inner-city high school by creating a safe environment in her classroom. They feel that their learning is authentic, and they admire her honesty. The teacher respects her students, and gives them voice by handing them blank notebooks to fill with their own story.

One day soon, I hope I will have my own classroom where I can begin my journey of growth and learning with my students. I want to get to know them, to care about them, to reflect back to them what amazing potential each of them have. Meanwhile, I will balance rest with an anew focus. I am excited, rather than anxious, to move forward. Regardless when I get those notices from the school districts, I will continue to work on becoming better myself, professionally and personally.

Connecting my classroom with the school I founded in Uganda, by creating a penpal program.

Good teachers can spark change by inspiring their students who are the agents of change. But change starts with the individual, and that means I will continue to live by the values and standards I have: respect, care, service to the community. When I finally meet my students they will see that what we learn together can be meaningful because it inspires better versions of ourselves.

E-Portfolio (photos)

Posted by: | July 17, 2013 | Leave a Comment

Autobiography

My education has led me to various opportunities that have shaped who I am as an educator. I have been lucky to have many thoughtful, wise mentors, and from them I have learned many skills and habits that inform how I learn and teach. In this autobiography I will outline a few important highlights.

In 2006 I entered the University Transition Program which is an accelerated high school program funded by the VSB but situated on UBC campus. It was the intensity of the program, supported by the meaningful mentorship that has shaped who I am as a learner. My mentor in the program was insistent on us finding a way to document and express ourselves, especially because we were mentally preparing ourselves to enter university at 15. Ever since, I have practiced a habit of reflection.

In my second year at university, I struggled with my identity on campus. Though I knew I was a strong academic, I did not appreciate the faculty I had chosen in freshman year. I struggled with the purpose of studying and furthering myself as I lost motivation for studying my subject. Through series of intense reflection, I realized that I was fascinated by creating activities when I was a child. I found old booklets that I compiled in primary school for my imaginary students. This realization gave me courage to switch faculties, and I worked towards being in this Bachelor of Education program. This process of self- realization helped me appreciate the importance of purposeful learning, as I always strive to create meaning for students to make a personal connection to their learning environment.

From when I was 16, I worked in a language school named the Vancouver Academy of International Studies. I was blessed with an exceptional woman who took me under her wing as an intern, and introduced me to some of the students there who needed tutoring. These four years I have been working at this private academy has built up the core of my work ethic. In that environment, it is imperative that students show considerable improvement. This is only achieved if the instructor is patient and creates a disciplined class, works overtime to ensure each student gets sufficient one-on-one time outside of class time, and creates supplemental activities to reach the wide range of ESL students. I still teach the first student I taught then—over time, she has gone from being a ESL Level 1 primary student to being near the top of her intermediate class in a Vancouver private school. Not only am I proud of my work with this student, I also value the reputation I have built for myself at this academy.

I hope to create a safe learning community where different ways of knowing and learning are valued. In my school years, I have been blessed with teachers with genuine care for their students’ growth. In my growth and reflection, I strive to be the best teacher I can be for my students.

keep looking »