Authentic learning

Posted by: | April 17, 2013 | Leave a Comment

Last week I focused on my lesson delivery. This week I focused on my voice modulations for classroom management. I am also working on developing well- guided lessons that have built- in peer discussion time. I would like to have an effective closure on as many lessons as possible. It is getting easier as the students and I get into our routine. There are several systems in place that allow me to teach more effectively. Now I can focus on how to assess better, to ask questions more thoughtfully, and how to model and guide my students in their learning.

This morning I introduced the students to the process of reporting an event. They will take turns being classroom reporters, and it will be interesting to see the articles that they produce. I created a trail of glitter this morning so that the students would follow the glitter lead. They found a big bag of mysterious stuffed animals. I used the hook to teach the students about effective leads, covering the5W’s.

My students are still young enough to believe the little tricks that make magic and fairy tales. I am happy that they were willing to play along. After they found the trail of glitter I grabbed a “fake incident report” which coincidentally had the 5W’s which I asked the students to provide information.