Together We Thrive For Brain Regain.

imagesWelcome-Slide1-600x264This is a commentary on an external blog titled, “How to reverse the brain drain,” written by Mohammed Al Maktoum 0n 23/10/14. [1] I found this blog insightful and thought provoking as it aligns with some of the objectives I have in my life. Given that I am an international student, I have a dream of going back to Kenya and applying the knowledge that I have learnt with understanding of the major issues that my country is battling with. Well, you could say that, “isn’t it everyone’s dream to go and give back to their community?” I would answer that it is the intention of the dream that really matters; I am not saying this just because I want to think of myself as a “good man.” But because I have seen and reflected on some of the problems we have faced and I sincerely want to make a difference.

Mr Maktoum clearly identifies the reasons of why people left and the reason is “opportunity.” Opportunities to have better education; is one of the reasons I came to Canada, others may vary from “rise in living standards,” to “security and safety reasons.”[1] So the question is how do we reverse this flow? Maktoum’s solution is, “believing in people.” It might sound vague and meaningless but that is the major conflict Maktoum has identified in his country and now one that I can relate in mine.

Ever since I went to the Young People for African Development, here in Vancouver, I realized that I might have met future revolutionists of my continent. We all sat down in a circle and told our story of how we ended up here and the dreams that we have for our continent. I realized that there were so many people who have noticed the same conflicts that I have and realized that I was not the only one who wanted to go and “fuel innovation and prosperity.”[1] Then, I understood that if we listened and believed in people’s ideas, we could all push for this changes in our respective countries. As Maktoum says, “ their ideas, innovation, dreams and connections are the capital for the future.” During one of my jump-start classes in UBC, they also emphasized that networking is the key to the future. Without networking, there is no way to meet people. After that you have to build a relationship or get to know the person “listen to their story,” and see if your goals are parallel.

Through this experience I noticed that my time here in UBC would be more valuable than I initially thought. I will get to build relationships with my fellow students that might last a lifetime. The only thing I have to do is be willing to listen to peoples stories so that I could help them achieve their dreams and they could help me achieve mine. I think one of the only solutions and ways to achieve “brain regain” is by networking and finding people with a common goal, who would grab the opportunity to come and work in Africa. This will help in battling with some of the problems we face as where “great minds go today, great things will happen tomorrow.”[1] It will only feel right to conclude with an African proverb, “ If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far go together.”

BIBLIOGRAPHY

[1]
http://forumblog.org/2014/10/sheikh-mohammed-bin-rashid-al-maktoum-brain-drain-uae/”
How to Reverse the Brain Drain.” Web log post. ForumBlog. Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, 23 Oct. 2014. Web. 08 Nov. 2014.