3.1: Multicultural in White

In my ninth grade social studies class, we spent the majority of the year learning about medieval Europe, the Crusades, and then the renaissance. The last two weeks of school, we did express group circles where one group would do a fast-paced read on the part of the chapter that was dedicated to a small piece of a non-European country’s history. For example, for 75 minutes, I learned all about the Qing Dynasty, from the 1600s and all the way to the 1800s.

In tenth grade, we spent a month or two re-enacting the Canadian Confederation. We dressed up, acted as representatives of a Canadian province or territory and voted. We wrote mock ups and memorized the names of important Confederates. We did this until all provinces and territories agreed to become Canada.

In eleventh grade, we played World War. We acted as countries, passed notes around, made allies and attacked others. I also learned Canada has the cleanest water in the world.

In my final year of high school, I took a history course. Everyday, we learned about World War II again. We made notes from textbooks and answered the questions that were basically reiterations of our notes. Our teacher finally gave us an assignment that we could do on our own and I chose to write about the Japanese Internment camps. I got a check for “good job”. After Christmas, I dropped out of the course because I couldn’t be bothered with learning about things I had already learned about the year before. I was also irrationally angry with Archduke Franz Ferdinand (how could one guy create a whole war?!?!)

I do remember learning about the Iroquois in grade four. We studied their culture and made a mural in our classroom of a loghouse. I thought First Nations culture was so amazing. So I was even more excited to write and design a “textbook” about a First Nations culture in grade ten. I got lucky and received the Haida as my topic. The assignment was that we would have to do all the research on our own, develop chapters and categories, write out discussion questions, and design layouts. I vaguely remember talking about potlatches, not exactly understanding what it was and just knowing they were banned for some reason or another.

The point of my long rehash of my historical studies in high school and elementary is to point out that I learned a hell a lot about Europe and hardly anything about Canada (aside from the Confederation). So, imagine my surprise, when in my fourth year of university, and I finally get to learn about Canada – like really learn. As in, not just only pinpointing where Hope is on a map of British Columbia or which Great Lakes are Canadian or American – but learning about Canada during WWII when I thought I had learned it all (all I learned about Canada during the World Wars was that they fought in Passchendaele and everybody forgot they did), or about the Indian Residential Schools that pretty much happened yesterday if we put everything in context with the time frame of the history of the world.

I learned all of this – in detail – in the past few months since first semester. Of course, we dabbled on the Immigration Acts here and there, read literature about Chinese railway workers, but it was never explicit. It was always about the War of 1812, or about the HBC in canoes looking for beavers, or how the First Nations of Canada got small pox and all died.

So in my experiences, why is it that it took me so long to learn about Canada when I live in Canada? Why is it that history seems to only revolve about Europe and the World Wars, and 75 minutes is enough to cover centuries within China? Japan may have invaded Manchuria but why did they do that? What were the effects? Where have all the First Nations gone now that they had supposedly either died from disease and poverty or had “sold” all their land?

In 1988, the Progressive Conservative government passed the Multiculturalism Act that promoted the equality of all cultures and deemed English and French as the official languages of Canada. So Canada became officially multicultural and bilingual.

Vic Satzewich and Nikolaos Liodakis do a good job in summarizing the four principles that guided federal multiculturalism:

1. The federal government would support all of Canada’s cultures and seek to assist the development of those cultural groups that had demonstrated a desire and effort to continue developing a capacity to grow and contribute to Canada as well as a clear need for assistance.
  2. The government would assist all cultural groups to overcome the cultural barriers to full participation in Canadian society.
  3. The government would promote creative encounters and interchange among all Canadian cultural groups in the interest of national unity.
  4. The government would continue to assist immigrants in acquiring at least one of Canada’s two official languages in order that they would become full participants in Canadian society.

At first glance, the Multiculturalism Act seems to encourage a variety of ethnicities to grow and exist. Although, Satzewich and Liodakis argue that these sentiments of multiculturalism came into policies because of economic reasons: to increase globalization by “embracing” cultures. Taking a closer look at the wording of these principles, the growth of these groups is essential only in the idea that they will eventually contribute to “Canadian society”.

This begs the question: what is Canadian society?

Daniel Coleman talks about the “fictive ethnicity” of a country and how, for Canada, British whiteness “occupies the position of normalcy and privilege” (7). So, although Canada may be multicultural, its history is mainly seen through the lens of the European. It doesn’t even see itself at all. My education of Canadian history in high school shows it.

One of the criticisms of multiculturalism is that it works in a way that ghettoizes cultures. This means cultures, other than the dominant culture, become commodified or as a piece that is only showcased when needed in certain places and certain times. Take the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics for example: in the opening ceremony, “Canadian culture” and Aboriginal culture was mainly advertised. But looking at Vancouver, you can see there is a vast variety of cultures other than the two “main” ones.

How I viewed Aboriginal culture in elementary school was similar to how I thought of Greek mythology. I was only taught its culture in terms of pre-colonialism and given the idea that it was wonderful and special, but that it was something that had ended and which is no longer relevant in modern society. I looked at Aboriginal culture with an air of nostalgia.

Aboriginal culture, to me then, seemed to exist separately, outside of the time frame and space of Canada. Coleman writes, “[…] at the same time that civility involves the creation of justice and equality, it simultaneously creates borders to the sphere in which justice and equality are maintained” (9). In other words, by encouraging multiculturalism, it also draws light to the separation or deviation from the “dominant culture”.

There is also the assumption that these cultures exist but are only allowed to exist so long as the dominant “Canadian society” exists above all else. Alexis de Tocqueville, a French sociologist, wrote about dominant ideals and how these ideals were not always the best ideals. They are only seen as the best and as the majority because the most powerful advertise them in this way. So, to many, Canada’s “fictive ethnicity” seems to be the best ethnicity and all others secular.

A good example of this, comes from a Facebook post a friend of mine sent to me:

click to enlarge

There are several different points of view in this post. The first being the idea that advertisements should all be written in the official languages of Canada. Another is the idea that, if English is not the main language, then French is the only other acceptable one to use. There is also, my favourite, the idea that if this advertisement was written in French, then nobody would be able to read it at all.

The third point of view understands the importance of context. This sign was displayed in Richmond, a city with a large Chinese demographic. So, in an advertiser’s point of view, it would make sense to cater to the major demographic than, say, the Francophone demographic.

So why did Telus not place the ad in English? I’m not sure. Does it have to? Not exactly.

It’s interesting that Canada prides itself in multiculturalism, but language seems to differ from this ideation in this situation. Perhaps it’s because English and French are called the official languages and this distinction is viewed as separate from multiculturalism. Is then multiculturalism and by extension, the freedom to use language, a privilege or a right?

This is yet another criticism of multiculturalism – that ethnic differences are contained within certain places and times. Celebrating ethnic holidays is encouraged, but once the celebration is over and things like the bus ad appear in public outside of the “appropriate” space and/or time, it is no longer welcomed. All because, Canada’s “fictive ethnicity” is essentially British whiteness and this still occupies positions of normalcy and privilege (Coleman 7).

I am not arguing that multiculturalism is “bad” or not good enough. In my opinion, it is less problematic than complete assimilation. However, multiculturalism is not perfect. There are problems such as the underlying assumption that these multiple cultures will eventually assimilate into what is supposed to be the “Canadian society”. What exactly is “Canadian society” then? I believe this definition varies from place to place and time to time. It may very well mean something different to different people.

Coleman, Daniel. White Civility: The Literary Project of English Canada. Toronto: University of Toronto, 2006. 14-56.

De Tocqueville, Alexis. “Tyranny of the Majority.” Classical Sociological Theory. Ed. Craig Calhoun, Joseph Gerteis, James Moody, Steven Pfaff, and Indermohan Virk. 3rd ed. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, 2012. 122-32. Print.

Satzewich, Vic, and Nikolaos Liodakis. “Diversity, Multiculturalism, and Quebec Interculturalism.” “Race” and Ethnicity in Canada. 3rd ed. Ontario: Oxford UP Canada, 2013. 159-87. Print.

6 thoughts on “3.1: Multicultural in White

1. Your post is very insightful and you prove a valid point. I too remember my Socials and History classes having a European focus. I am very thankful for the topics explored in this course, however, I do find it disappointing that this is the first time I am truly exploring other parts of culture and our nation from an educational perspective.

• Recently, in my “race” and ethnicity class, my prof asked us who had learned about residential schooling in high school and only one person raised their hand. He spoke about how in some provinces, they do a very good job of detailing the history of residential schools (especially in Alberta) but it seems not so much in British Columbia. And I agree, I do find it disappointing that I didn’t learn much about residential schooling/non-Eurocentric history until now. Although, I’m glad this education does exist in some parts of Canada.

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to read my post! 🙂

2. I want to hug your post this is fantastic and as I was reading it thoughts came into my head and as I continued to read I am so glad that you managed to put them down on the page.

As much as my grade 11 social studies class had a Canadian focus (as it is part of BC’s curriculum), we were taught all of the unjust pieces of legislation that Dr. Patterson mentioned in the blog post. Nothing was sugarcoated. Instead, the focus was on how our nation was changed over time.

However, I have to say that it was implied that the time of racism has ended. It had been defeated. Reconciliatory efforts have been made.

But seeing your image regarding the ads brings to mind many controversial pieces of news that have popped up in recent months, especially the case about multilingual signage in Richmond. I always get fired up reading them and I suppose that’s because these conflicts are still around today.

It seems self-serving to be patting a fellow group member on the back, but I will do so anyway.

If we are to picture Canada’s multicultural history in our heads, I really wonder where we are in the scheme of things and where this is headed in the future. I hope not a melting pot. I wonder if tensions with Quebec will settle. I wonder if racism will ever vanish. I wonder what migration trends will peak and how that will affect our country. I feel like it’s foolish to dream the achievement of peace, as something will always kick the dust up again, but that doesn’t mean efforts for equality should be abandoned.

Great post, Crista!

• @chrischeung

I’m glad you were able to have the opportunity to learn about Canada and its legislations in high school! This really gets me thinking about the education system of Canada/British Columbia. My perspective of the US education system is that they have SATs so education is standardize (although I’m sure that’s not exactly the case). As a high schooler, I was always pro-SATs just because it would make education more fair. I’ve been in the situation where I would be in the same subject as another student but would be learning completely different things and the marking was completely different. But I digress….

Just curious, what is your stance on signage in Richmond? I remember reading one article where the woman that was complaining said, something along the lines of, “I’m fine with the non-English signs as long as they don’t show up in my community area”. That had me rolling my eyes. It was basically saying, yes, you can go do your odd ethnic shenanigans as long as I don’t see it – the moment I see it, you better hide it!

One of the things I’ve found that a lot of people struggle with in understanding inequality, is the dynamic of power. They think as long as people get to do what they want, it’s fair and enough. But not really – not if power is still distributed in a way where it benefits one group over another. And also if this power cannot be shifted because it rests on the fact of things that cannot be changed easily or at all – like skin colour, SES, etc.

I’m glad you brought up Quebec! Quebec doesn’t subscribe to multiculturalism but rather on interculturalism. If you’re not familiar with that, basically it is where there is a dominant culture everyone must adhere to (the francophone culture), but also have the freedom to practice any secular ethnic identities. Sounds like multiculturalism, right? I think people get confused with the two and it’s quite apparently in the Facebook post that most people believe more in interculturalism than multiculturalism.

3. Thanks for the introductory trip down high school memory lane, and judging by the other commentators it would seem we all attended BC schools! I definitely feel the same frustration you experienced in your History 12 class. Basically my pre-university educational experience primed me for a rude awakening in Art History 100 term 2 (non-European art) when I didn’t understand that there is a fraught relationship between high Western art and the “primitive” non-Western art/anthropology/ethnography…?
    I’m really glad you included that photo that circulated Facebook for several reasons that connect to multiculturalism. All the jokes and gibes aside, I think many people make the issue of (Greater Vancouver for example) pidgeonholing different cultures into separate areas (though this can be true) a problem when it doesn’t have to be. Yes, that sign is not in English or French. Yes, I cannot tell which language the sign is even written in because I can only speak English and French. The sign, which is an advertisement (read: it caters to the demographic to appeal to said demographic), shouldn’t outrage non-Chinese speakers because they’re excluded from understanding it. Chinese immigrants in Richmond may not be able to immediately read English when they arrive. Early colonizers from Europe wouldn’t be able to read Salish languages had they been advertised when they arrived would they? I think concerning Canadian multiculturalism and language at least, it’s unfair to restrict communication to Coleman’s British/white ethnicity. I really liked what you said about Canada’s perception that we are a multicultural nation but in actuality we constantly reference the colonization (official languages are ONLY English and French) that is now openly shamed (like recognition that the Indian Act was a damaging implementation). The fact that some people would post a meme to Facebook complaining that advertisements are not accessible to them because they don’t know the language, which they are perfectly free to learn, is the icing on the “fictive ethnicity” cake.

4. Hi Crista,

Thank you for an amazing post – I have actually cited some of your personal experiences and material into our group project because I think the educational system of teaching history is skewed. It seems that all schools are European history heavy, excluding almost completed the history of Canada itself, or that of the First Nations.

I had to laugh at your Telus advertisement you posted. I want to know your stance on this kind of advertisement in Canada, where our official languages are French and English. Should it be permitted? Encouraged? Banned? Within my family (all English speaking) we have gotten into some heavy debates about this. We are from North of Toronto and just outside of Toronto is “little India” people like to call it. This results in most advertisements, whether at bus stops, billboard, etc. to be at least partially in Hindi. Some people in my family and friend group see this as ridiculous, as “we shouldn’t be losing our culture to “them” – they live in Canada and therefore should meld to our society”. While others don’t see an issue with the differences in culture and society supported in those areas.

I think I fall somewhere in the middle of this debate. But then, if our languages are English and French, shouldn’t a billboard in Surrey be in both of those languages? Or in a small town in northern Saskatchewan?

Thank you, your post is truly lovely!
    Gillian