Present: A Tour of IIT Delhi

Welcome to IIT Delhi. It’s been sunny here for a while, which means it’s time to take some pictures and show you where I am!

Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, indeed. Let’s peek inside.

Here’s the Main Building. It’s the center for academic activity on campus.

The Central Library. A place of AC and wifi!

Nescafe, a popular spot to grab drinks and snacks.

This is the Central Library and Nescafe building, with the bridge joining it to the Main Building.

This is the Wind Tunnel, running right beneath the Main Building. A windy place to sit, chill, and hang out. The dogs love it here.

The Main Gate area. Nothing too impressive, just a security check and a road. That’s one more security check than UBC has.

Heading back into the campus, we have the Main Road. Turning left, we’ll get to East Campus, housing the female students, the staff, the professors, and the community by and large. Heading straight, we’ll pass by the Academic area. We’ll head towards the Academic area (again).

Here’s the field right outside of the Main Building. Used as a quiet spot, mostly.

These are the academic Block buildings, Blocks III through VI. These house different Engineering departments, various lecture theatres, classrooms, and laboratories. Everything is concentrated, thankfully!

This is the academic/hang out/you’ll see a lot of people here area, with the Central Library building on the left, and the block buildings on the right. In the middle back is the Bharti School building.

Perhaps the nicest classroom at IIT Delhi. VI LT2 might beat it due to AC, but I dislike HENN 200-style desks. This resembles something from our Henry Angus building, except not so modern.

A quick peek over to the East campus, where all you can really see is trees and an unknown (to me) building under construction. There’s female hostels and staff/faculty residences somewhere in there!

We move up the Main Road and head towards the athletics areas. These are the stands for the track and the soccer/football/I don’t know whether I should call it soccer because I’m Canadian or football because Ich liebe Deutschland… field.

This is the field. Nothing fancy, but it’s pretty big and fun to have a game of soccer/football going.

Continuing up the Main Road, we come to the Bharti School building. Another bunch of office spaces, labs, and lecture rooms, as far as I know.

Further up the road, we have the IIT Delhi hospital. Free for use, but definitely not the best hospital to use if you’ve got insurance. They were pretty good with treating my chicken pox though, giving me the whole smattering of antivirals, creams, and anti-swelling pills.

The Main Road, with cycle rickshaw at right (INR 10 gets you from our hostel to the Main Building).

Marching further along, a juice shop, selling all sorts of refreshing blended fruit mixtures on your way home from a day of doom and gloom.

We take a short detour away from the Main Road, into the secluded Student Activity Centre. Here, you can do any student-related activity, provided it is after 6PM. There’s a hairdresser, weight room, badminton court (yes, one), music room, and so on here. Who needs a $105 million Student Union Building now, ha?

Inside the main area of the SAC.

Running back towards home, we’ll happen upon Lipton’s. A great place to stop for a drink or a snack if you want to break the monotony of hostel mess food. I stopped for a well-deserved drink of cold milk after this picture.

While we’re on snacks and drinks, here’s Laxmi and Gupta’s, stores side by side that sell all the junk food and drinks you could ever want in life. An easy pick-me-up if you need it! Way down the road from the hostels, but worth noting.

Kumaon House. Home sweet home. Let’s go inside!

We are the Kumaon Tigers. I love this painting.

Small grassy field outside my room. A place where everyone will hang out, at one time or another.

And of course, we end up in my messy, messy room. Note the laundry drying lines, the mosquito net up on my bed, the 20L jug of water, the map of India, the beer pong tournament bracket (which we won), and the cramped quarters. Nothing like going home to a toasty hot Totem Park single room with mosquitoes and non-Ikea furniture.

So that’s it. That’s IIT Delhi, the way I see it. The campus itself is huge, as the East Campus has a lot more of its own things to see, and South Campus has the management school and more residential areas. IITD is 320 acres in size, dwarfed by UBC’s publicly endowed 993 acres, but still requiring a bicycle or lots of time to move around.

Hope you liked the tour of my home for the past 2 months, and the next 2 months!

6 thoughts on “Present: A Tour of IIT Delhi

• Ah yes, I’ll have to grab a picture of the big map out at the Main Gate! My hope is that future UBC students can explore the campus a little bit before they choose to come here.

1. Nice summary ! A map would be nice. I joined in 1963 & graduated 1968. I guess a lot has happened since then. I now live in the UK but have happy memories of my time at IIT Delhi. Modern technology helps me keep in touch with some of the people in my year. I have been for a visit once in the 70s & met some of my professors & went around the sports facilities & hostels. Keep up the good work.

Regards & Best Wishes – Sam Datta Once in Textiles diverted to I.T but now retired.