the nor(thern)way

tales of a ubc student living & learning in norway

This semester’s exit plan

It’s been a while… My only excuse is that since June I’ve circumnavigated the globe from Norway to Vancouver to…

Why consider studying in Norway?

Yesterday I left Norway after 6 months of calling it home. Next time I return (and am I ever happy…

The hyggelig and the not so hyggelig

Norwegians have a special word for anything that makes you feel good, at peace, nice, comforted etc. It is the…

March Madness

People say that it takes about 3 months to get completely settled in a new environment or routine. It’s been…

Walking

A couple days ago I went for a walk and it was beautiful!!! We walked just 20 minutes from the…

Traveller, not tourist. Learner, not student.

There are too many little things that make up my days here: chilly walks to the grocery store, train rides…

10 things you should know about Norway

I’ve been in Norway for almost three weeks now and things that first amazed and surprised me are starting to…

New year, new beginnings

I spent my first moments of 2016 atop the Oslo Opera House, watching the New Year’s Eve fireworks above the…

What I think when someone tells me: “I am so jealous you are going on exchange!”

Today I learned that excitement and anxiety are closely related. You know that feeling of getting butterflies in your stomach…

Everything I own is in boxes

said every university student ever. Yup. It’s August and I’m getting ready to start another term at UBC before I…

© 2018 the nor(thern)way. Theme by Anders Norén.