tales of a ubc student living & learning in norway

10 things you should know about Norway

I’ve been in Norway for almost three weeks now and things that first amazed and surprised me are starting to seem normal. So before I become too acclimatized to life here, I thought I would share some tidbits of Norwegian life and culture with you!

**These are all from my point of view or from conversations with Norwegians and other exchange students who live with me. As will all stereotypes, there are definitely exceptions. Still, it is fun to compare the little, everyday things that make life in another country interesting.

1. Everyone can ski. If its a sunny day you can spot skiers everywhere. Cross-country of course. People ski to work, ski with their dogs, carry ski gear on the bus or train and kids ski on small hills in the schoolyard. Good Norwegian wintertime fun!
  2. Saunas. Swim suit or nude, your choice. People enjoy running outside and rolling around in the snow to cool off!
  3. The taco aisle and frozen pizza. Almost every grocery store in Norway will have a taco aisle and a frozen pizza section. These are two very popular easy-prep meals that Norwegians like to make. Who would have thought, Texmex is a thing here?!
  4. Candles and star-lights. They are commonly displayed at windows and doors during the winter, which makes for a pretty view while walking down the streets. Think Ikea-Scandi-chic like this. Someone told me that it is connected to an old tradition to make sure that people lost in snowstorms or dark weather could still find their way home.
  5. People are health conscious but love their sweets. Everything in moderation. Most grocery stores have huge candy aisles where bulk candy can be bought. Take a look at this candy store called Yummy Heaven to give you an idea of what I mean. Some popular treats are salty liquorish, milk chocolate and sour gummies. At the same time, Norwegians love their excercise; you will always see people out running, biking and skiing in the snow. According to a Norwegian roommate, kids are not allowed to bring candy to school. It’s also very rare to see anyone eating or buying white bread as it is considered unhealthy.
  6. Hunkatten and Hankatten. The Norwegian version of fraternities and sororities at university. Literally translates to ‘the she-cats’ and ‘the he-cats’. Looking for a good party to go to on Wednesday or Friday night? Head to the tomcats (as my roommates would say)!
  7. Sandwiches. They are different here. Firstly, it’s not really a sandwich because they are eaten open-faced with smørbrød (spreadable toppings) or as an entire mini-baguette with different fillings. You may find smørbrød like pickled beets in mayonaise, caviar from a tube, smoked salmon, shrimp salad, egg salad or cheese from a tube. There is a Norwegian speciality cheese called brunøst which is a sweet caramel-flavoured cheese. I tried it once and it tastes like cheesecake. Needless to say, the possibilities are endless and so tasty.
  8. Winter dress-code. Everyone wears reflectors on their arms or legs or as part of their jacket and I was a little confused when I first saw this. But, it is SO HANDY and helps keep you visible to cars and other pedestrians in the darkness (as of now the sun rises at 9am and sets around 3:30pm). In fact, the Norwegian government has an entire article on their website about reflectors and pedestrian safety!
  9. Greetings. If you ever come to Norway just learn a few simple phrases and you will be set! Hei hei (pronounced: hi hi) = a colloquial way of saying hello, takk (tack) = thanks, vær så god (var shuh go) = translates as “be so good”, but it is used like: here you go, you’re welcome or no problem, ja og nei (ya ohg neigh) = yes and no.
  10. Family comes first and Sundays are for resting. Most offices or special stores close around 2-4pm so that workers can go home. Everything is closed on Sundays (with the exception of gas stations and convenience stores). It’s common to see families walking around on Saturdays and Sundays skiing together, exploring the town/city, going out to eat and just spending quality time together. If an employee stays at work late, they are not considered a hard worker but a bad parent. Maybe that’s why Norway was ranked one of the highest countries on the world happiness index, according to 2015 report by the United Nations summarized here.

In the same report Canada ranks just below Norway. Not so bad, eh? 😀

« »