Recent Posts

ETEC 511

This is an electronic portfolio that I have set up as part of a requirement for the Masters of Educational Technology Program. It was begun with my first course ETEC 511 (Educational Foundations). This is my first experience with this type of sharing and public presentation of work, learning and reflections.

The course consists to modules. Each module lasts one week. During each module there are specific readings as the core elements of the discussion. There are many additional readings, video, links and culminating tasks to work through as the week progressed.

The modules, in order of presentation are: design of ET, ethics and jurisprudence of ET, anthropology & sociology of ET, philosophy of ET, history of ET, politics of ET, psychology & phenomenology of ET, economics of ET, ecology of ET and spirituality of ET. These modules became an interwoven network of linked ideas and concepts, where thinking from one module related and enhanced thinking in others. Many new ideas, concepts and tasks were experienced throughout this course.

ETEC 511:

One response made during Module 5: The Philosophy of Educational Technology delved into the essence of being human. My response to one post was:

I think that the challenge to this is how do we define ‘being human’. Ultimately, what is the ‘essence’ of being human. Linking this question to the comment by Heidegger “When we are seeking the essence of ‘tree’, we have to become aware that THAT which pervades every tree, as tree, is not itself a tree that can be encountered among all the other trees.” When we are seeking the essence of ‘human’ …. THAT which pervades every human ….

Individuality. Uniqueness. Spirit. Being. Soul! So, in that sense, we can be changed by technology (just as a tree can be changed by wind, water, sun, storm) but our essence remains our individual essence. There is only one Helen like me in the whole world. My essence has not been altered by technology but my life and my place in relationship to others has irrevocably been changed by technology.

The response back to this post was interesting and challenged me to go deeper into this question on the essence of being human. My next response was:

Good questions… let me think a bit. Descartes said… “I think, therefore I am.” (my 18 year old son reminded me of that line this week 🙂 So I think the workplace Helen is the same essence as the ‘real’ Helen. I cannot separate the two. She is the same essence, the same individual. There may be a different ‘avatar’ as you say, but she IS the same essence. I cannot help but show the true essence of myself in what I say, how I say it, whom I interact with, and the choices I make as I work through the day. My true self will come through.

Within that essence, the morality and controlling of technology will be determined by who I am, how I think. IF I think that technology is too hard to manage, I will not manage it. IF I feel that it is the only way to go, I will support every effort to make it happen. My work avatar is merely the shell that I carry over me to protect from harmful elements in the workplace or in the world. It merely covers, not conceals.

Thanks for provoking my philosophical thinking.