BLOG #1: My Blogging Debut

The very first thing I learned when I began my life at UBC was the proper way to meet new people.  When introducing myself I usually give a condensed version of this:

Hi!  My name is Jewel Rosario Pang, and I’m a first-year arts student at the University of British Columbia currently enrolled in the Global Citizens stream of the CAP program.  I was born in Saskatoon, SK, moved to Kelowna, BC, and lived in White Rock, BC just before moving to UBC residence.  My background is Chinese, Filipino, and Indian with a family so large it’s ridiculous.  In my spare time I train in kickboxing and seikido and watch Community.

Although my short introduction appeared casual and a simple telling of facts, it was woven more carefully than one would think.  I chose to start with “Hi!” and include my athletic extracurriculars for specific reasons.  I gave a version of myself that I want readers to view me as.  Facebook profiles, for instance, are a better indicator of how one wishes to be seen rather than how one is in real life.  When a life narrative is told it carries a similar restriction.  The nerd-turned-model is more appealing that the beauty-turned-model.  Autobiographies tend to be a story of a series of events that lead redemption and a growth of character.  I’d like to have a greater understanding of the nature of these narratives and how much is told accurately.  Life narratives are a personal reflection andTori_Spelling_at_The_Heart_Truth_2009 therefore have a bias attached.  A strong example is Tori Spelling, a successful American actress who starred in Beverly Hills, 90210 and lived an affluent lifestyle.  In her autobiography, sTORI Tellingshe opens the book by speaking about a particular moment in her life in which her mother caused her to be insecure about her nose (which later led to her nose job at the age of 16).  Not to diminish the value of her pain, but she also had a specific purpose in mentioning this part of her life.    If an impartial omniscient observer of my life were to write my introduction, how would it differ from my version?  As mentioned in Academic Writing: An Introduction,  no summary is better than another, it merely provides a new perspective with its own purposes.  How do these purposes affect how we view our own lives?

»