Archival Group Projects: Rebuilding History

This week, our ASTU class got the opportunity to present each of our Archival group project with the rest of the class. It was an interesting hour and a half where groups took turns filling the public knowledge gap through the exploration of the Rare Books and Special Collections at UBC. While all 5 groups …

The Collective Knowledge: c̓əsnaʔəm exhibit

c̓əsnaʔəm, the city before the city is an exhibit at UBC’s Museum of Anthropology which tells the story of the traditional Musqueam people’s village of c̓əsnaʔəm located in Richmond, BC. c̓əsnaʔəm was long used by the Musqueam people as a burial ground for the dead, but was long forgotten by the colonial Canadians and was …

Blog Post #4

Downtown Eastside in Vancouver, BC is infamous for being one of the poorest neighborhoods in the world. Nicknamed “Canada’s poorest postal code”, it is a poverty stricken neighborhood filled with prostitutes, drug addicts and homeless people. When people hear the words “Downtown Eastside” it instantaneously makes them think negatively about the place. I actually had …

Blog Post #3

For centuries, human beings have been communicating information and stories in various forms: through speech, text and images. Now in the age of information technology, individuals are being constantly bombarded by massive amounts of information through new mediums such as mass media, social media, and other new technologies. These technical advances allow people to have …

Blog Post #2

Gillian Whitlock challenged readers to take a look at the “packages of life narrative” at bookstores and analyze the outer layer of the book (Whitlock describes this as the covers, introductions, acknowledgements, dedications, and blurbs). According to her, the outer layer of a life narrative says a lot about the book and even adds a …

Blog Post #1

When I introduce myself to people I meet, I often have to go through a whole routine just to clarify where I am from. A simple answer would be “I’m from Bangkok, Thailand” but that rarely suffices. A follow up question often comes from them, in the form of a surprised expression and what sounds …